Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find the steering wheel on my '65 quite skinny in diameter compared to the beefy wheels of today's cars. Does anyone have a suggestion on a some sort of grip or pad to wrap onto the wheel to make it thicker?

Deke

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
You can try two thicknesses of steering wheel cover. Perhaps a cheap cover with a Wheelskins cover on top.

Frank

·
Registered
590 Posts
Wrap it in a thick leather or vinyl and stitch it in?

·
Registered
961 Posts
I've always used the old style wraps with the cords attached, where you put it on and wrap the flat cord around the perimeter of the wheel and tie it off and tuck in the ends. They are getting harder to find though.

·
Registered
35,844 Posts
Yeah, IIRC, Dan Gurney thought the wheel rim was a bit thin back in '64.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,659 Posts
Wonder if it's possible to make a thicker wheel out of wood to fit over the original thin one / replace it? My dad's a woodworker so if that's possible, I might have him make me a thicker one. I'm not a huge fan of how thin the wheel is either, feels like I'm going to break it in half every time I wrench it around to turn out of my driveway!

·
Registered
35,844 Posts
It won't break, there's a pretty substantial steel core inside it.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,659 Posts
I know that, doesn't stop me from jumping every time the wheel creaks though! :)

Of course, bending the wood into a steering wheel shape would take tons of time and effort, so it's merely speculation. At the time I'm more concerned with trying to get the damn horn button to stay on and not constantly activate the horns when it's NOT popping off :loco: I like the look of a Grant wheel, but that horn is incredibly annoying.

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I know that, doesn't stop me from jumping every time the wheel creaks though! :)

Of course, bending the wood into a steering wheel shape would take tons of time and effort, so it's merely speculation. At the time I'm more concerned with trying to get the damn horn button to stay on and not constantly activate the horns when it's NOT popping off :loco: I like the look of a Grant wheel, but that horn is incredibly annoying.
twotoots2, who unfortunately does not post too often, proved to be a superior craftsman with some of the projects he took on. The last project he posted about was the rebuilding of a steering wheel. Almost all of the pictures have disappeared from the threads, but if you skim the text, you can tell how much effort (and how many hours) went in to building the steering wheel.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/605328-68-deluxe-steering-wheel-finished-pics.html

Although he finished it, and it turned out great, I suspect that Dan went crazy from the project. He hasn't been seen since. If your dad's mental health is of any importance to you, stick with store bought covers. :}0

·
Registered
35,844 Posts
Yeah, the noise comes from the cracks in the plastic. Don't get the Grant, once you've seen the Moto-Lita, you'll see why everyone runs down the Grant.

I'd rather have the stock plastic wheel than the Grant.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,659 Posts
Sorry in advance for hijacking the thread! Really didn't mean to :)

The Moto-Lita wheel is the 'Sebring-Style' wheel in the Mustangs Unlimited catalog, right? I recall seeing it and thinking it looked really nice, but the price was kind of on the high side for me. I've got a lot of mechanical upgrades on my list that need to come before something like a $350 steering wheel!

Really wish that that was something I could find in a scrapyard. It drives me nuts the amount of things I have to pass up because of lack of funds. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll finish the pony this summer, and then redo a lot of things as soon as I'm out of college and have a real job and thus more cash! :pirate: As it is, I forego buying food so that I can buy more car parts. Having a classic Mustang is a great weight loss plan :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts