Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I got my 1965 coupe a few weeks ago and have been working on fixing initial problems. Since getting it, the brake lights didn’t work and the turn signal did not reset itself after turning. Also, the horn didn’t work.

I have fixed the brake lights by replacing the turn signal switch. I verified that the horns would sound if I jumped the two spring-loaded horn leads.

However, now after putting it back together, there is a 3/8” gap between the steering wheel and the column, even with the retaining nut torqued down. The horn will not activate, and the turn signal still will not reset after turning.

I am wondering if I have the wrong year steering wheel or something and because of that it doesn’t fit right??? See attached pics.

Thoughts? Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
^^ by loosening the two 1/2" hex bolts under the column and dash with a deep-well 3/8" drive socket and ratchet, grabbing the column and bringing it up by about 1/2". Then, install your steering wheel. See if that works.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Another ditto on moving the column sleeve up toward the hub... but don't expect the cancelling cam to work. I'm on my 4th TS switch. The cam didn't work the day I installed it last time, and didn't last long on the former replacements. One of the switches caught fire. The aftermarket switches are terrible... and the OEM switches are going on 50 years old and cost 3X as much. If the cam doesn't work and everything else does, live with shutting the signal off manually.
Just have to remember, if you pull into a parking lot of a local store and park in the lot, your directional will be on when you start the car back up. I'm old, but driving around with the directional on makes you look older.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks All! I was able to move the steering column up the half inch or so and now the turn signal resets and the horn honks.

Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts