Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Looking to replace my thick wooden Grant wheel in our '68. I really like the look of the attached pic but just can't stomach the $300+ price tag and it does not come with a center cap--not that I need a GT500 center though. Anyone ever seen something similar for less $$??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,880 Posts
I picked up one of the GT Performance wheels from Summit. I like it, it has a nice feel. The horn is on the center hub and a very easy install. But the wheel is $285 and the installation kit with the hub is another $56.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks nice and a much higher quality than my wooden Grant, I still would like a thinner wood wheel. Pricing is pretty close to the one I had in the post. I might have to bite the bullet.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Ya, fat and flat is not a good look...in steering wheels. ^^^^ That one above is close, not as fat as most.
Once around $300+ you may as well get a new re-pop OE looking one, IMO. Amazon.com: Scott Drake C5ZZ-3600-NK - Deluxe Steering Wheel Assembly (Woodgrain): Automotive
..or for under $200 you could get a used OE one and refurb it. Filler in the cracks and spray it till you're satisfied. This was cracked in 4 places and nearly yellow. I sprayed till I ran out of paint and said "meh, other priorities beckon."
Surely you could do a better paint job than me - I cant even take decent pics :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Yeah an OE 65-66 woodgrain wheel looks good in any vintage Mustang!
20200429_230959.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,802 Posts
I have the el cheapo Grant wood wheel in my '65 and I don't understand what you mean by "too thick". I think the factory '65/'66 wheel is too thin.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The bottom line is that a new wheel in the style you want is going to run $400 by the time you get it installed. The question that you have to answer is if it is worth $400 to you.

I have a couple wood wheels, not sure of the brand, they were on my 65 and 67 when I bought them, lower cost Im guessing. The 65 now has a repop original black wheel. Im going to take the better of the two wood wheels and see if I can thin it down some, then figure out a way to keep the center cap on. They were both held on with tape when I bought the cars, and both fell off on the way home.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the el cheapo Grant wood wheel in my '65 and I don't understand what you mean by "too thick". I think the factory '65/'66 wheel is too thin.
Probably a personal thing...on my Grant (which I bet is the same one you have), I feel the wood just looks too thick--not bad but I prefer the thinner look of the 65-66.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bottom line is that a new wheel in the style you want is going to run $400 by the time you get it installed. The question that you have to answer is if it is worth $400 to you.
I'm beginning to think that you're correct. I have a tilt column to install and would like to get another wheel and do it all at once. I kinda had a $200 budget set for a new wheel but in the big picture, another $200 might mean just saving for a few more months.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I think I got a deal on my Moto-lita for like $150, but then the boss was $80ish as was the button...boom, $300. (and that's still a deal)

·
Premium Member
11,802 Posts
This is the very common 15" Grant wood wheel. $125 with free shipping from Summit. Add the GT Performance installation kit and horn button (NOT the Grant kit) for another $100. $225 all in. I find this wheel to be very comfortable. It is also available in 13.5"

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That looks exactly like what I have...my center cap is different but mine is 15 yr old. Nothing wrong with it but I just want a thinner wheel--just me I guess.

·
Dimples
4,674 Posts
I too prefer more girth in a steering wheel. The stock wheels are just too thin for my hands. I also wanted one that was smaller for more room with late model seats.

This is the very common 15" Grant wood wheel. $125 with free shipping from Summit. Add the GT Performance installation kit and horn button (NOT the Grant kit) for another $100. $225 all in. I find this wheel to be very comfortable. It is also available in 13.5"
My car came with this same wheel when I got it back in the 90's and I absolutely hated it. Felt really cheap and I nicknamed it "the chopper" because when it returns to center, it tries to take your fingers off with the thin spokes. Of course, opinions differ, and what do I know? I put on an aftermarket wheel that's pretty much the same price and I love it.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,880 Posts

I have a couple wood wheels, not sure of the brand, they were on my 65 and 67 when I bought them, lower cost Im guessing. The 65 now has a repop original black wheel. Im going to take the better of the two wood wheels and see if I can thin it down some, then figure out a way to keep the center cap on. They were both held on with tape when I bought the cars, and both fell off on the way home.
My days working in the bodyshop I always kept a roll of butyl windshield tape in my tool box. It was great for sticking items in place that you didn't want a permanent hold. It can be stretched to make a desirable fit.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have two of the corso-feroce sold through the mustang parts houses. It is thin compared to the wooden grants. I have several of the grants hanging on the shop wall. The corso comes in 14”, and the stock 15”. With install kit it’s over 300, I got one in trade, and another off “let go” for 90 bucks.They are very flat and have little “dish“ to them like the grants. I like them, despite being thin. In fact they have so little dish that they require you to modify the turn signal stalk, with a slight bend so you don’t keep hitting the stalk when u turn. One advantage of “less dish” is more clearance at the “gut” despite my late model buckets With thicker seat bottoms. I gained a little clearance lost with seat upgrade. No. It’s not a beer belly, just milk!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
awhtx - I like the 13.5 diameter wheel. Im going with EPAS so I dont need the big wheel to turn, I do need more girth room.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts