Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 68 with deluxe interior, and my steering wheel was so destroyed the couple restoration shops I approached (Gary's and I think Steering Wheel Bob - been a while) told me it was so far gone even they couldn't save it. That led me to considering an aftermarket wheel from Best In Show, since NPD now offers them. I contacted BIS to see if they used original or aftermarket cores (I know, but had to ask) since I was concerned about fit issues (seen a thread a thread or two about aftermarket wheels not completely seating on the column). Last week or so been trading emails with a pretty informative and responsive guy named Jay at BIS who told me the NPD wheels are made from aftermarket cores, but mentioned he had an original 68 deluxe core he could use to build a wheel for me. Bit of a premium, but going original helps remove a lot of concerns.

Can anyone comment on their experience with BIS steering wheels? How they look (workmanship), how they fit, and if anyone has purchased or had them restore an original, how did it turn out, especially the textured wood grain finish?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Flade is right..

The repros are excellent...worth every penny. Don't even bother wasting time with your original wheel...

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a standard wheel we had converted to deluxe by Gary. The wheel is repro, the Shelby is real.
Wow, 22GT, that's some pretty work. I never thought about having a standard wheel converted. Can I ask what it took?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Wow, 22GT, that's some pretty work. I never thought about having a standard wheel converted. Can I ask what it took?
For a while the only options were finding a decent original wheel and having it restored or buying a new standard wheel and getting it converted. Just about 3 years ago they started selling the deluxe repro. It would be really nice to see a converted wheel and a repro side by side and compare cost and quality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts