Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody repaired their steering wheel using an Eastwood Co. repair kit? Mine's got the typical cracks. How hard was it to do? Any tips? Pics?

Chris

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I was making a page on how to do it some time ago but my computer died and I lost everything.

It's not hard to do. Maybe if you do a search of the old posts you'll come up with the procedure.

The Eastwoods kit contains nothing more than two cans of epoxy and a booklet that isn't so great. If you can pick off the name of the epoxy and the procedure from the old posts then you can probably save yourself about $25. The Eastwoods kit isn't really worth the money IMHO.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Nope. No pictures. As I said before they were lost a while ago. Look at this post:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=1&Board=forum&Number=244711&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

The post under the name *DONOTDELETE* is me. My old username got zapped in the great VMF disaster of '02. Also note the good tip by i967mustang regarding the appliance paint. FYI after about 6 months the wheel started cracking again but if you look at my description of the wheel (tremendous cracks) it was bound to happen. I wasn't expecting much. If you can find a place that sells the PC 7 epoxy then just get it and forget about the Eastwoods kit.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
excellent kit. i have mine 90% done and all you; have to do is "V" the cracks out with cut-off tool so top is about 1/2 in. wide which gives more support and fillcracks. after drying sand it down and refill any uneven parts. piece of cake. i had 7 or 8 large cracks and they filled perfectly.
read in M&Fs or AutoRestorer where someone had theirs crack during first winter and fix was to use more of one tube in the mix. in Buffalo, NY mine has went thru 3 winters with no problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts