Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a one day permit from the DMV to drive my 69 to the muffler to have the x-pipe connected to the headers. Finally got to drive it after 2 years. That little 1.5 mile jaunt uncovered too many problems but the most troublesome is this. We will get to the others I'm sure after I get the car back and have had a chance to look at it. All the last 5 months when the car was on jackstands after I finally replaced every part of the front suspension the steering wheel was straight. I pulled it out of the garage Monday and turned it around in the street and put it in the garage nose first and the steering wheel was straight. As I drove it down the street today the steering wheel was off by a whole half a turn. It hasn't been aligned yet other than by me doing a few measurements with a tape some string and a ruler but it didn't drive badly on the way to the shop. At least i don't think it did I was pretty jazzed to be in the car. The front wheels seem to be straight and aren't all cockeyed or anything. I went to the shop while they had it on the lift and checked all the suspension parts and nothing looked stripped, lose or bent. It has a new LaCarra steering wheel so I don't think it failed. Any ideas? Did it just settle in because it was finally on the ground? I have moved the wheels left to right many times and it always seemed to be centered when the wheels were straight. With the engine running and the P/S working and with the engine off. What gives? I was sure I tightened and torqued every bolt I could. Has the 18:1 steering box. and it didn't drive all over the road. Thanks jim

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
Steering alignment can change as the springs settle, due to changes in where the control arms sit relative to the horizontal. I'd re-center your steering wheel and see if you get additional changes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts