Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the forum, and to classic cars. (I am 17 years old). I just purchased a 66 coupe, and we noticed a little puff of smoke coming from the wires, which we saw because the horn button fell off. The horn doesn't honk, (except for a sad, half-honk when I turn the wheel to the right). We purchased the Scott Drake horn ring contact kit C5ZZ-13A821, but now that I have the steering wheel off the car, (we are also going to replace the turn signal cam and wiring), we are thinking it may not be the right parts. PO said the steering wheel was original, but it's looking like maybe a later model Grant steering wheel?? Can we still make these parts work? Any advice and help ID'ing this (so that we can accurately order parts) would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
870 Posts
Reactions: Parker66

·
Dimples
4,961 Posts
Howdy and welcome!

I have a soft spot for high schoolers in classics. I had one, I’m in the middle of building one with my 14yo daughter, and I’ve recently gotten to know some local folks like yourself, living’ the dream of driving a pain-in-the-ass old car at your age.

You have what I and my old Mustang buddies refer to as “the chopper” Grant wheel, because when it returns to center, you’d better make sure your fingers are out of the way, lol.

Straight up: it’s not a high quality steering wheel. That said, you can and probably should just roll with it. It’s your badge of courage that a lot of us share. lol

If I were you, I’d run it and wire up an auxiliary horn button under the dash. It’s not the “right” way to do it, but it would be affordable and easy, and now is the time to do “wrong” the right way and learn some things.

If you’re lucky like me, you’ll hang onto it and smile while you undo your past sins that kept you goin’ down the road.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely getting a feel that Grant is not a fan fave. According to the Grant website, the horn button is just held on by adhesive foam?!?!?! Right now, with a list of other higher priorities (My mom won't let me take it on the highway until we get the 3 point seatbelts she bought me installed.) I'm more looking for a repair or workaround than an upgrade or replacement. It's looking more like the horn ring retainer we purchased isn't going to work, I guess the question now, is: Does it look like I am missing a part for the horn button to attach to?

·
Dimples
4,961 Posts
It’s hard to tell from the photo. I seriously would just go Googling and research wiring in a separate horn button. Then you can put the Grant back on and attach the button however you want without that complication. Horn contacts on aftermarket stuff can be spooky. I’m chasing gremlins on mine that occasionally make the horn honk on left turns.

Don’t let the seat belt install slow you down. I did that mod a few years ago and found a strong weld-free solution. There are a lot of resources available on various ways to do that. When I revisit that past sin (lol, see what I mean?) I’ll get some new belts with the sash connection at the roof that keeps the belt at your shoulder. Good enough for now, but it seems like there’s always a better way to do just about everything.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Welcome Parker.

Blake’s temporary solution to the horn button is a good idea.

We understand when funding projects might be on a tight budget.

If you look at bottom edge of dashboard, there are existing holes to mount a bracket and button without drilling more holes.

Verify/move wires if needed so ya don’t cause any additional problems for yourself.

Now get those seat belts in there so you can drive it!

Have fun and be safe.

QUOTE="BlakeTX, post: 10401690, member: 143594"]
If you’re lucky like me, you’ll hang onto it and smile while you undo your past sins that kept you goin’ down the road.
[/QUOTE]

I was thinking more like...wow...I forgot i did it like that...what was i thinking 😂

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are few things more educational than an old car....
Order of safety... 1. brakes, 2. tires, 3. suspension, 4. belts, 5. Wipers, 6. heater (to defrost the glass)
Where are you? Possibly a mechanical mentor could save you a lot of re-work and wasted $, as well as giving one of us old guys a chance to feel young and useful again.
Do you have any knowledge or experience with wiring, hydraulics, etc.... Helps us use terms that mean something...

Topic = steering wheel:
1. Yes a grant, they are fine, its main job is to turn the shaft which it does fine, the horn setup is a bit cheap but works fine if you are willing to work with it.
Personally $ for a wheel is not an issue for me at the moment, but I still went with a 100$ Grant 13" so I can get my legs under the thing. I did add a $160 custom leather wrap which makes it look as good as any wheel. Point being, cheaper to fix what you got.
2. Likely the problems are between the collar you took off and the contacts inside the steering shaft. Take the aluminum block that has the splines that grab the steering shaft, turn them over and let us have a look... Take a pict of the steering shaft without the wheel on so we can see the contacts.. Possibly the contacts in the housing need replacing, or a new grant mount kit.
3. I do no think the kit you bought will help, as they belong on a factory wheel, not a grant.
4. You have the "upgraded" meaning better looking horn button that kinda clips on the fiberglas horn disk and is held by foam tape/glue... The cheaper looking grants actually have some bumps that have to go past the cuts in the fiberglass disk and then rotate to stay on... I have one of those on at the moment, bought the upgrade, was surprised it did not hook on as well as the cheaper stamped one, and am trying to decide if it is worth it.
5. To test the car's horn separate from the wheel, there should be two contacts that rub against the collar I mentioned on item 2.. if they have electrical contact, the horn goes off. It is possible the horns have issues, but... most likely the connections mentioned on item 2..
6. While I have used the temp button "door bell switches or whatever" as recently as a couple of years ago, I would really discourage you from digging into the wiring. If you choose to go that route, run totally new wires so you can easily remove the whole circuit and do not hack into the original wiring.

·
Premium Member
12,159 Posts
You have a Grant steering wheel and a Grant adapter/installation kit. The Grant installation kits are notoriously bad so get rid of it. Buy the GT Performance installation kit and horn button. They will set you back $100 but they are excellent quality compared to the Grant crap. Buy the GTP 20-6004 kit and an 11-1525 horn button.
BTW: I have that exact same Grant wheel and the GTP installation kit in my '65.
100_1944.JPG

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There are few things more educational than an old car....
Order of safety... 1. brakes, 2. tires, 3. suspension, 4. belts, 5. Wipers, 6. heater (to defrost the glass)
Where are you? Possibly a mechanical mentor could save you a lot of re-work and wasted $, as well as giving one of us old guys a chance to feel young and useful again.
Do you have any knowledge or experience with wiring, hydraulics, etc.... Helps us use terms that mean something...

Topic = steering wheel:
1. Yes a grant, they are fine, its main job is to turn the shaft which it does fine, the horn setup is a bit cheap but works fine if you are willing to work with it.
Personally $ for a wheel is not an issue for me at the moment, but I still went with a 100$ Grant 13" so I can get my legs under the thing. I did add a $160 custom leather wrap which makes it look as good as any wheel. Point being, cheaper to fix what you got.
2. Likely the problems are between the collar you took off and the contacts inside the steering shaft. Take the aluminum block that has the splines that grab the steering shaft, turn them over and let us have a look... Take a pict of the steering shaft without the wheel on so we can see the contacts.. Possibly the contacts in the housing need replacing, or a new grant mount kit.
3. I do no think the kit you bought will help, as they belong on a factory wheel, not a grant.
4. You have the "upgraded" meaning better looking horn button that kinda clips on the fiberglas horn disk and is held by foam tape/glue... The cheaper looking grants actually have some bumps that have to go past the cuts in the fiberglass disk and then rotate to stay on... I have one of those on at the moment, bought the upgrade, was surprised it did not hook on as well as the cheaper stamped one, and am trying to decide if it is worth it.
5. To test the car's horn separate from the wheel, there should be two contacts that rub against the collar I mentioned on item 2.. if they have electrical contact, the horn goes off. It is possible the horns have issues, but... most likely the connections mentioned on item 2..
6. While I have used the temp button "door bell switches or whatever" as recently as a couple of years ago, I would really discourage you from digging into the wiring. If you choose to go that route, run totally new wires so you can easily remove the whole circuit and do not hack into the original wiring.
Hi, this is Parker's mom answering for him while he's at work. Parker does not have any real knowledge regarding wiring or hydraulics, etc. As far as mentors go, he only has me - his hairstylist mother who is NOT a mechanic, but I have owned a 74 Triumph Spitfire 1500 which I've been tinkering with for a year. It runs more often than it doesn't at this point, so I'm calling it a win! From me he's maybe learned how to throw a tool quite far across the yard, and possibly some new swear words (I like to get creative and come up with cheeky British swears for that car). I'm generally good at finding the answers to my questions through a lot of googling or asking around in forums. My partner is a software developer, has quite a lot of tools, and he is handy with most things mechanical, but short on time to devote to another project. I totally agree that he needs someone with much more car experience to mentor him! Are you volunteering?

The car: Brakes are new, and part of the front suspension was replaced when the PO tried to have the alignment done. Tires are good. Floor pans are good. Suspension seems fine, but we haven't driven it a lot. Wipers are good, and just bought the tubes to re-install the wiper fluid to the pump. Haven't tried the defrost heater yet. Noticing an intermittent squeal so perhaps we will be looking at a new belt for whatever it is that will be demanding our attention soon. We also noticed the belt on his engine pulley has a notch out of it when we were adjusting the timing, so that's also on the list to replace.

Thanks for the advice. Here are the parts you asked for photos of. (Yes, we know the turn signal return cam needs to be replaced. That, and the smoking horn is what started this little project. )

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Welcome MOM,First picture--Looks like new turn signal switch time. From the ends of the horn contacts and the glob of junk in the third picture on the contact plate ,seems we have our primary suspect. Is it grease that is on there ? wipe it all off.
Where are you guys located ?
My very own personal opinion about the wheel is ---- junk it or sell it down the road and get a proper factory wheel on it.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Welcome Parker and MOM - I agree that it looks like new turn signal switch time. For a replacement, I'd spend the extra money on a FORD NOS rather than the repops.

As far as a local helping hand, fill in your (approximate) location so we know where you're at as there may be a forum member near you that could lend some help and expertise.

Look into joining a car club in your area as there is usually a tremendous amount of knowledge therein and usually those members will go out of their way to help a youngster who shows the willingness to learn.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride!

John

·
Registered
36,200 Posts
Ditto with John about replacing the turn signal switch... the horn contacts are "smoked" and melted. Also a great idea from awhtx about the GTP adapter and horn button if Parker wants to keep the Grant wood wheel, not have it come loose, have the horn button pop off all the time and have the horn blow while making sharp right turns. When everything gets put back together, pick up some "bulb grease" for the back of the adapters horn contact ring... it's a conductive grease and much better than plain ole ordinary grease.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Definitely getting a feel that Grant is not a fan fave. According to the Grant website, the horn button is just held on by adhesive foam?!?!?! Right now, with a list of other higher priorities (My mom won't let me take it on the highway until we get the 3 point seatbelts she bought me installed.) I'm more looking for a repair or workaround than an upgrade or replacement. It's looking more like the horn ring retainer we purchased isn't going to work, I guess the question now, is: Does it look like I am missing a part for the horn button to attach to?
This would help immensely GTPerformance or Grant Steering Wheel Hub and Horn

·
Registered
1966 Mustang Coupe
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome MOM,First picture--Looks like new turn signal switch time. From the ends of the horn contacts and the glob of junk in the third picture on the contact plate ,seems we have our primary suspect. Is it grease that is on there ? wipe it all off.
Where are you guys located ?
My very own personal opinion about the wheel is ---- junk it or sell it down the road and get a proper factory wheel on it.

Yes, looks like grease. Yes, the new turn indicator cam is awaiting installation. Thought we'd track down the horn woes while the wheel is off. I'll have him clean it off. A better wheel is low on the priority list at the moment, but duly noted. We're in Chattanooga TN.

·
Dimples
4,961 Posts
Howdy, Mom.

A lot of us started out the same, with no direct mechanical mentor, and that was before the internet. He has everything he needs, especially a supportive mom.

I’ll echo what others have said. There’s probably a local cruise or club you can attend, and most are willing to go the extra mile to help a kid. Facebook is a good resource there.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts