Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What adjustment controls the returning to center. after i make a turn i have to manually return the wheels to center. Any suggestions. I know this has been discussed before but i am having no luck with the search.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Either the adjustment on the steering box is set to tight or the box needs rebuilt.
Is this a p/s unit or manual?
Has this problem just recently started?

Don

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
toe in affects this

1/8th -1/4th inch ("in" means the front of the tires are closer than the rear of the tires... (I"m talking about only the front tires for this setting))

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Caster is what you are looking for. The more positive caster, the stronger the return to center; also, the more effort required to turn the car. If you have power steering, have your alignment man crank in as much positive caster as he can,(and still be equal on each side) by adjusting the strut rods as short as they will go. If you do not have power steering, do not exceed about 1.5 degrees of positive caster, or you will need forearms like Popeye to turn your car.

While he is at it, you can improve your handling by setting the camber at about .5 to 1 degree negative, and the toe to the minimum "in" of the factory spec range. For example, if the spec says 1/16" to 1/4", with 1/8" being preferred, set to 1/16". Hope this stuff helps and I haven't thoroughly confused you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts