Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that this topic has been the subject of much debate, and I have done a bunch of searching on this forum and others, but still have some unanswered questions.

I am looking into replacing the stock power steering in my 69 with some other power option. The three kits I'm looking at are Randall's Rack (lots of + reviews), Steeroids (mixed, but not a lot of info), and Unisteer (brand new power rack so nothing out there, but lots of + for their manual rack). I am also looking at the ABS power brake integral power steering box that was in the Nov Mustang monthly. 1/2 the price, but doesn't do anything about bumpsteer and again, it is brand new so not much info.

If anyone has some actual install or use experience with any of these kits I would love to hear the pros and cons.

Specifically, I would like to hear more from someone that has installed and is driving on the Steeroids kit. I like the price and the included steering column looks like the install will be easy, but some here have raised questions about the mounting brackets and tie-rod ends.

Randalls seems to get universally great reviews, but I can't find much info about how the steering column is modified. Some kits talk about cutting the column but I can't find out what will have to be done with the Randalls kit on a 69 column. The article in MM was good, but the car they installed it on had an aftermarket column and they only covered the one piece column in the sidebar.

The new Unisteer kit looks like a quality kit, but there is even less info about it.

Finally, the ABS power brake set-up is interesting because of the price and the stock turning radius, but the bumpsteer thing concerns me.

Thoughts???

Kevin

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
I don't understand what your "bump steer" concerns with the power box are. Putting in a rack with different geometry usually *causes* bump steer problems to appear; simply replacing the existing box and preserving the existing geometry isn't going to cause any additional problems. There are kits and methods to deal with bump steer issues for existing systems.

John Harvey

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Boy am I glad you didn't mention Flaming River. I could go on for DAYS about that one... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
758 Posts
I heard Flaming River has a new improved rack. Don't know what that means. There are bump steer kits, so that shouldn't be a problem. My concern is the turning radius. Only Total Control states no loss of turning radius on their site.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bumpsteer concerns relate not so much to the integral box, but to the stock suspension geometry. My car is lowered about 1" and when I put some decent tires on it, the bumpsteer was very noticable on some road surfaces. Most of the rack and pinion kits claim to have no bumpsteer or give you a way to correct for it. If I keep the stock geometry, I will probably get a bumpsteer kit, either TCP's or the other one I saw featured in MM.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I spoke at length with the folks at Unisteer and their kit looks pretty good, comparably priced with Randall's and they told me it should be available for sale in about 2 weeks. They claim "no bumpsteer" and over the phone, they claim that there wouldn't be a significant loss of turning radius. For what's that worth....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Guys I have also heard the FR set up has bad bump steer I have installed a FR Manuel in my 69 fastback but haven't driven yet but after reading what I can find about bump steer and looking at how my setup is and also taking into the fact that the originally steering wasn't that to begin with, what do you have to lose, when I do getting running I will definitely post my opinion of the steering system and let you guy's know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts