Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that this topic has been the subject of much debate, and I have done a bunch of searching on this forum and others, but still have some unanswered questions.

I am looking into replacing the stock power steering in my 69 with some other power option. The three kits I'm looking at are Randall's Rack (lots of + reviews), Steeroids (mixed, but not a lot of info), and Unisteer (brand new power rack so nothing out there, but lots of + for their manual rack). I am also looking at the ABS power brake integral power steering box that was in the Nov Mustang monthly. 1/2 the price, but doesn't do anything about bumpsteer and again, it is brand new so not much info.

If anyone has some actual install or use experience with any of these kits I would love to hear the pros and cons.

Specifically, I would like to hear more from someone that has installed and is driving on the Steeroids kit. I like the price and the included steering column looks like the install will be easy, but some here have raised questions about the mounting brackets and tie-rod ends.

Randalls seems to get universally great reviews, but I can't find much info about how the steering column is modified. Some kits talk about cutting the column but I can't find out what will have to be done with the Randalls kit on a 69 column. The article in MM was good, but the car they installed it on had an aftermarket column and they only covered the one piece column in the sidebar.

The new Unisteer kit looks like a quality kit, but there is even less info about it.

Finally, the ABS power brake set-up is interesting because of the price and the stock turning radius, but the bumpsteer thing concerns me.

Thoughts???

Kevin

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I can answer some of the questions on the Integral unit from ABS--here is a link (if this works) to a prior post, otherwise seach for ABS and 69 rustang.... As for there being bumpsteer with it, it would be no worse than a stock Mustang, probably far better than with several of the R&P kits. But there were some other concerns I had with it.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/showtopic.php?tid/1474148/post/1773440/hl//fromsearch/1/#1773440

I have an Excel spreadsheet that I had updated a few months ago with comparisons of all the systems with info I gathered here and there. I will try and upload it later.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Just call Randall. He'll tell you everything you need to know (and more) about what modifications are required on your column.

Like many, he'd rather talk to potential customers than to put a bunch of potentially misinterpreted tech on a website.

I will go with either Randall's or TCP. I think TCP is clearly superior to all others, but it comes at a price. Randall's may be an acceptable compromise, not to say that you're giving up a whole lot. The old adage is true, "You get what you pay for."

·
Registered
10 Posts
For what it's worth- I'm looking to do a similar upgrade to a '68. Talked to Global West and they told me they base their front components off the Unisteer rack. Talked to the Unisteer guy also. Yery friendly and gave the impression they would help set up whatever system you want. He did say they were comming out with a new power rack shortly( may be out by now). Global West likes the Unisteer rack for the reduced bumpsteer.

Talked to the TCP folks too. Same story there. Friendly, helpful and answered all my questions.

Which one to chose? Haven't decided yet. There are things about both that I like.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I talked to the unisteer guys today, they told me the power rack should be out in about 2 weeks for $1599. RRS stuff looks great, as does the TCP, but both of those are in the $2100 neighborhood. Randall's gets great reviews here and in other forums, Unisteer does also for their manual rack and their power one looks like a quality piece so I can't justify the extra $500. Like just about everyone else here, I am already significantly over budget.

All of the mods I thought I would put off until later get moved up when the stuff I have fails and I am faced with spending money fixing the old stuff or doing the improvements I had planned for later (i.e. new intake and carb, radiator/electric fan, AOD, and now R&P).

Just trying to get this car into the "somewhat reliable" transportation phase is killing me. And I haven't even really started on the cosmetics yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah I hear ya. I just got started and my budget is well.. there is no budget. Decided to build it the way I want and if it takes a couple more years- so be it. I'd like to know what you decide as far as suspension and steering go. I think I have it narrowed down to the Global West or TCP setups. Problem is there are things about both that I like. Everybody tells me a power rack is not really necessary unless you plan on a daily driver and want the comfort. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
gwk said:
...Everybody tells me a power rack is not really necessary unless you plan on a daily driver and want the comfort. Good luck.
+1 Since the '67 is my daily driver, I'm really wishing I would not have put in that POS Flaming River manual R&P and instead should have used Randall's power rack... Someday... someday...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think I will give Unisteer a try. They make many quality products and the kit is about $1K less than the TCP I was looking at buying!! The SB and BB power kits are list priced at $1599. I am sure that some retailers will take a couple hundred off of that price!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Crash, I noticed in your car photo you have a hood with scoop. How do you keep rain and debris out of the engine compartment?

Thanks,

·
Registered
63 Posts
If anyone has some actual install or use experience with any of these kits I would love to hear the pros and cons.

Specifically, I would like to hear more from someone that has installed and is driving on the Steeroids kit. I like the price and the included steering column looks like the install will be easy, but some here have raised questions about the mounting brackets and tie-rod ends.

Randalls seems to get universally great reviews, but I can't find much info about how the steering column is modified. Some kits talk about cutting the column but I can't find out what will have to be done with the Randalls kit on a 69 column. The article in MM was good, but the car they installed it on had an aftermarket column and they only covered the one piece column in the sidebar.
I have the steeroids kit in my '65. I chose it mainly because it has the fastest ratio ( 2.5 turns LTL, 15:1 ) and you don't have to hack up the body. I wanted the quickest ratio I could get since I sometimes autocross this car. With the other kits the best I could find is 2.8 to 3.5 LTL. Way too slow IMHO.

Install was straightforward, everything fits as advertised.

There was plenty of header clearance with the Hedman headers. They list on their website which headers will clear.

I have not had problems with brackets or tie rod ends. I heard that was a problem with the older design but my kit if fairly new.

Steering is precise and responds quickly to driver inputs. Now we're not talking 911 Porsche here, but still it feels like a modern car. No wandering, no need to constantly correct on the freeway, and it actually stays straight when I slam on the brakes. No leaks, no noises, no unpleasant surprises. Far, far better than the stock power steering system.

The only complaint I have is the steering felt underboosted with the stock Ford PS pump. I switched to the GM Saginaw pump and it's much better. I realize this is a matter of preference. I prefer a light, overboosted, quick steering feel. I really could care less about the so called "road feel" that some blab about, all I care about is getting the car to rotate as fast as possible with as little effort on my part.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts