Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a set of step-by-step instructions "for educational purposes only" on removing the entire thermactor system on a '66 289? Mechanical rookie here, eager to learn, even more eager to avoid screwing up his 'stang :: Any assistance appreciated.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should add that I do have the '66 shop manual, significant parts of which read to me like Greek stereo instructions translated from the original Japanese. I can refer to it for identification of various parts of the system, though.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi - I started with the air pump. Once removed, you will probably wish to re-locate the alternator up. You will need to buy a triangular mounting bracket and the long bracket with the slot for adjusting tension on the alternator belt. I also purchased the correct "long bolt" and spacer. Once the pump is out of the way and the alternator is relocated,it is time to move onto the air injectors. Don't even try to remove the old ones with the valve covers on. Pull the valve covers and unscrew each injector. You will then pull off the air injector piece. Next you will need to put a "plug" into each air injector point. The part is available straight from Ford. You will need 8 of them. If I remember correctly they were about $2-3 each. You may wish to use some lock-tight to keep the plugs from working back out. Put the valve covers back on and you are ready to rock-n-roll!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts