Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a partial trunk floor cut out and rear section (16") of a rear frame rail removed. Who has done this?
What is better?? Weld in the frame rail and then fit the floor to the top of it, or put in the floor first??

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Luckily my rails were solid, so I didn't have to replace them, just the floors....but if it were me, I would leave the rear trunk brace in place, cut away the floor above the rails, replace the rails(one at a time), using the rear trunk brace for correct alignment, then replace the rest of the floor...that way you maintain maximum rigidity for each step

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,121 Posts
Clamp or screw your frame rail in place, then fit the floor section in. Once you have everything lined up put a couple of tack welds on the frame rail to hold it in place. Remove the trunk floor pieces and finish welding the frame rail. After that you should be good to weld in the trunk floor. Btw, use your gas tank to help with trunk panel fitment.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Clamp or screw your frame rail in place, then fit the floor section in. Once you have everything lined up put a couple of tack welds on the frame rail to hold it in place. Remove the trunk floor pieces and finish welding the frame rail. After that you should be good to weld in the trunk floor. Btw, use your gas tank to help with trunk panel fitment.
If using the aftermarket trunk floor panels, I will tell you that the tank is no help in aligning them...I gave up and just used a square and a tape measure after hours of trying to use the tank...then just welded up and re-drilled the mounting holes for it after everything was square and sitting where it should have been.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I like to level the car on stands before I start. Just measure everything from as many points as you can and do one side at a time. Clamp fit and test fit again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts