Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a sound system in my 69 coupe. I am wondering if anyone has had any expierence with this. I was thinking of putting 6x9 alpines in the back and front. I want to put in four speakers and an in dash cd player. I looked at the hide away units but they are kind of expensive. Any help would be great. I want to keep the costs low. Thanks

http://www.wolfhotrods.com
"Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
on the '65, i mounted the alpine cd player in the glove box..you have to cut some holes in the cardboard for wires to pass. I used the alpine wiring harness and only used the ground, power and remote wires on it; tape the rest and tuck away. I only have rear 6X9's, and i mounted an amp in the trunk and ran RCA's all the way to the back, hiding all the wires(power, speaker) under the carpet next to the door sill. Don't know about '69's, though. But it's real easy to do on a '65, so all it takes is a little elbow grease.

College Station, TX

·
Registered
224 Posts
I just put an in-dash Clarion CD in my '66. Sound, cost, and technology-wise the new DIN (rectangular) stereo models are the best choice. Originality is a question for the owner. Since '69's had a stereo bezel that can be replaced, I would do the in-dash CD as well. For less than $200 you can get a nice head unit. As far as speakers go, I put a set of Polk DX9 6x9's in the rear and mounted them from underneath. Then I made a plywood package tray, painted it balck, cut speaker holes and covered it with a stretchable non-cotton cloth. The finished result is a flat package tray with no visible speakers or grilles. I have not done front speakers yet, but the unfortuante news is that next to a trunk, the doors make the best bass enclosure. Therefore, if you want good bass sound up front, put speakers in the doors (again, originality is your call). Second choice is kick panels (don't know if you can do that on a '69) with separate tweeters mounted up high. Last choice is dash speakers with a low-frequency cut-off so you don't get bass distortion from the little speakers. Don't skimp $ on the speakers. I'd rather just good fronts or rears than 4 medium quality speakers. You can add more speakers later as funds become available. Speakers make the system. The last note is that flip-down face head units require a bigger hole and the use of the small trim/faceplate included with new stereos. If you're good, a non-flip down face can be installed without the use of the trim piece for a cleaner look. Separate amps and subwoofers are also options but can easily be added later. Upgrade your speaker wires too. Good luck.

reedbr
'66 289/5sp

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put a pretty beefy system in my 69 coupe. I put Kenwood 6x9's in the rear but never really liked the way the hung from underneith. If I can ever get some cash I'm going to get a set of Pioneer 4x10 2 or 3 ways as these are a direct fit for the holes in the metal structure under the package tray. I also put 2 4" full ranges in the dash opening and 2 tweeters mounted on the top of the windshield pillars. This setup works very well for me. I cut my radio bezel as these are easy to buy from just about any mustang parts place. I also ran some 8ga wire to the trunk to feed a 450 watt MTX amp and 2 MTX 5000 12's. If you want subs make shure to buy some that work well in small enclosures as trunk space is at a premium in 69 coupes.

-You can never have too much power, just not enough traction.-

1 - 5 of 5 Posts