Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Our old ratty console ('68 Convert.) had a modern Kenwood stereo installed in it (a big square slot cut in it). Didn't look all that bad but....... Now that we have a decent looking console coming I realy don't want to cut it just for the radio. I'm thinking that we cold put the radio in the glove box and put a stock radio in the normal place. Now, I really don't care if the stock radio works or not. Any sources for a no functioning stock radio?? Any thoughts??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
I'd like to see a glove-box mounted radio in a 68. There must be a dozen radios available made to fit the stock opening in a 68. Some even have inputs for mp3 players, and remote CD changers.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I'd think you could find a suitable am radio on Ebay.....
Or you might try our very own Mustang parts wanted forum!!! I've had about 90% success. Many times VMFrs have spares sitting around and don't think or bother to try and sell.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Guys,

A quick look on Ebay netted a few so that may be an option. I will put out a post on our board to.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine was really simple so take it as you will :)

I have the original 65 AM in mine and in the 80's had a makeshift under-dash stereo ...added an amp and a couple of package tray 6x9's. Now all that is gone, except the cable run to the amp. I bought a new Kenwood 2 channel amp, a pair of Rockfor Fosgate 6x9's and a 1/8" to stereo RCA cable. The existing amp lead plugs into my iphone with the cable, and the lead goes directly to the amp. Speakers hook up to the amp and I'm done. It's invisible which was big to me in Cali. It's sounds pretty good for such a simple setup and to me....it was cheap.

I also plan to go a bit overboard and get the original AM repaired and hooked up to the original speaker in the dash if I want to listen to the AM side. So far it all works great :)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was really simple so take it as you will :)

I have the original 65 AM in mine and in the 80's had a makeshift under-dash stereo ...added an amp and a couple of package tray 6x9's. Now all that is gone, except the cable run to the amp. I bought a new Kenwood 2 channel amp, a pair of Rockfor Fosgate 6x9's and a 1/8" to stereo RCA cable. The existing amp lead plugs into my iphone with the cable, and the lead goes directly to the amp. Speakers hook up to the amp and I'm done. It's invisible which was big to me in Cali. It's sounds pretty good for such a simple setup and to me....it was cheap.

I also plan to go a bit overboard and get the original AM repaired and hooked up to the original speaker in the dash if I want to listen to the AM side. So far it all works great :)
Sounds like a neat set up.

Thanks!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts