Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well let the fun begin. I discovered this car buried under 30 years of crap in my own garage.I know, I know, shame on me.I did a complete repaint, interior and a little engine work when I bought it in 82. Then I moved into my new home in 86 I parked it in the garage, one thing lead to another and it sat there till now.My children have never seen it run.My son put a dimple in the gas tank on his motorcycle and asked me to fix it for him.I just finished a custom flame job on his bike.Because of him I now have the fever again; of course it could be the paint fumes.Regardless it’s time to fix the mustang.
Currently it is a 289 A code with a C4 and a 3.0 diff. However I want to change that to a 351 roller with an AOD and a 3.55 diff so I’ll need a lot of help with that.She does have the original front disc brakes which will save some work.She does have some minor frame damage from the PO that I’ll need to fix this time.I’m thinking of painting it Deep Impact Blue or Viper Blue with silver or gold stripes.I’ve already got the rotisserie, I just need got get her stripped down and mounted.
I know Israel is going to want pics so here are some of the stang and the bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Appears that you've got yourself a somewhat rare factory GTA car.

I wouldn't go and change the car up to much.

But then again it's not my car.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So what are your plans for the interior? Are you going to keep it fairly original looking, and what about color?

P

·
0 Posts
Looks to be a great car to start with. A 5 speed would be nice with a 351 :) Oh . . and I'll raise your tank there with flames with . . . metalflake flames over a true Kandy base . . PITA !! lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Have you considered getting the car as it sits running and driving, then doing a project one at a time?

p.s. please lower that backend down

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Appears that you've got yourself a somewhat rare factory GTA car.

I wouldn't go and change the car up to much.
But then again it's not my car.
The Marti Report shows it has the GT options group

So what are your plans for the interior? Are you going to keep it fairly original looking, and what about color?
The interior is in good shape, for now I'm going to leave it Parchment. Not sure if that will go with the Deep Impact Blue.

Looks to be a great car to start with. A 5 speed would be nice with a 351 :) Oh . . and I'll raise your tank there with flames with . . . metalflake flames over a true Kandy base . . PITA !! lol
Pete, very sharp looking tank. We did just the opposite, fine red metalflake with kandy apple flames on top.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you considered getting the car as it sits running and driving, then doing a project one at a time?

I might need to get the old 289 running. I have two kids in college and I figure the engine alone will cost $5000 to do it myself. The side view pic was taken after I pulled the gas tank and bumper but yes it needs to come down.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I thought you said you did a repaint and then had it sitting for all this time. What happened to the paint and body?!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought you said you did a repaint and then had it sitting for all this time. What happened to the paint and body?!
The car originally was an Ivy Gold. In 82 I scuffed up the paint and repainted it using an Imron Enamel white. When I dug it out the paint on the door and quarter had some cracks in it. When I hit it with the pressure washer it took off some of the paint. The rest of the car looks pretty good.

·
Registered
939 Posts
The car originally was an Ivy Gold. In 82 I scuffed up the paint and repainted it using an Imron Enamel white. When I dug it out the paint on the door and quarter had some cracks in it. When I hit it with the pressure washer it took off some of the paint. The rest of the car looks pretty good.
Are you planning to repaint again?

·
Registered
55 Posts

Doing that will make you anxious to do more, its what I do - drive it spring, summer and fall, up on stands during the winter for work.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Considering it's a GTA, and that the ivy gold paint would look KILLER with the parchment interior, I would go back to stock!

Love the car! Good luck!

*EDIT*

I really like that color on the 67's:

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
OK, OK so I got a little sidetracked. I had a job situation that needed to be fixed but I’m back on track now. We almost dropped the car trying to pick it up to put on the rotisserie so I decided I would build my own rotisserie with hydraulics and jig to go under the car. The car is attached by the lower control arm points and both the front and back leaf springs anchors. I used 2’ square stock for the jig. If I had it to do over, I would have gone 2 ½” or 3” for the main runners. The 2” flexes too much.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The floor pans have the typical rot. It’s amazing how fast a plasma cutter can remove floor pans.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
While it‘s open I might as well replace the frame rails

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts