Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use the electric fuel level or electric speedometer ? How do they hook up to 64 Mustang ssenders or do they have their own senders?
Thanks Joe

·
Registered
44 Posts
They come with their own senders. I just bought a set from summit.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How does the electric speedo work, Does the sender go on the trans. where the cable is now?
Can you calibrate the fuel sender?
Thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah the sender goes on the trans and it has a couple of wires that go to the gauge.
Not sure about calibrating the fuel sender though.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The fuel gauge should list the ohm values that it reflects. It needs to match the sender. Like from 75 to 10 ohms. Other makes use different values.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Not sure about Stewart Warner electric guages, but with Autometer electric guages you can get various fuel guages. For the Mustang, the stock fuel sender will work. You just need to insure the guage reads 73 ohms as full, 10 ohms empty. You should not need a special sender.

The speedometer requires a seperate sender that is not usually included and usually run about $60-$75. Autometer will work with the Ford VSS used in the 86 - 93 Mustangs ( ~$16 at Autozone). The Ford VSS has dual outputs, 2 wires to feed the computer which can also feed the electric speedometer, the other output is for a typical speedo cable.
I just left the cable off, but put a small plug in there just to insure fluid wouldn't leak from there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just bought a set of 'Power Series' and it came with every sender in the box including the speedo sender. Its a hall effect sender.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, now if I can just rember how on here has the custom gauge pods that holds two 5in and four 2 5/8 in gauges I will be set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts