Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found out why that one plastic plate got cracked. SOMEBODY installed it with those spring clips over the lips of the channels that the thing slides in . They are supposed to be inside the channels. My driver side was wrong but the passenger side(which I later checked) was installed correctly by somebody. With those clips not positioned right the plastic plate most likely tried to jam at some point and the same somebody or a later somebody(not me) tried to force it and it broke out the riveted clip, the hole and star fractured that whole thing.

So thanks to a tip from SilverblueBP i got a decent deal on getting a new set of the whole inside plate assemblies which are presently moving across the country.

Well, in my zeal to re-install a freshly painted vent plate even temporarily I calked it with a product I ordered on line that was supposed to be for old Mopars and Fords. What it looks like is plain old Oatey plumpers puddy that somebody rolled out into long thin strings, coiled up, stuffed in a zip loc. Right after I put that puddy on the one side I realized that I can't bolt the louvres from the outside with those installed so took the puddy bak off.

So here comes the questions. Was something similar to a plumbers grey puddy originally installed on these? That is what I buzzed off mine with the wire brush but my car was repainted in its past so maybe somebody just used what they thought would work.

Another question is I am presuming that the actual external louvres are restored and painted off the car so you don't have the potential for a paint crack line around the louvres later on once they get final installed. That means I have to do the external louvres first, cut in the louvre cavity and perimeter around the louver on the car body then bolt the louvres in. Sort of a pain.

Last thing I promise, was that same puddy or something else put in the little lip that is cast into the perimeter of the external louvres to seal them to the car when they get finally installed or was it a gasket or was it nothing? I have seen (I think) some sort of gaskets advertised for sale for this. It wouldn't be much more than an o-ring of some decent size if it is a gasket. Mine had nothing at all.

Sorry for all my stupid questions. It is kind of amazing how something this simple generates so many questions and it doesn't help that all that was dis-assembled and re-worked for a later re-paint so I don't know what the factory used.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I remember reading that the cavity the vent covers is supposed to be black so you don't see the body color through the vent screens.

I assume the material your talking about is seam sealer. I used it to seal the seams in the louver cavity...but don't know if it goes between the inner vent slider and the interior body panels or not.

·
Premium Member
9,687 Posts
When I stripped my '65 Fastback to a bare shell the cavities were covered thick with seam sealer and painted black so that a person wouldn't see the body color through the screens.
No plumber's putty anywhere. No gasket or o-ring around the external louvers. The seam sealer was there to force any water that leaked in out through the drain tubes.
The external "frame" of the louvers gets painted before the grilles and screens are installed into the frame and before the frame is installed into the car.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I used the 3m sealant strips to seal between the louvers and the body so that any water that got in would be contained in that area and forced down the drains.
And there's a lot of parts in those louvers! :D

·
Registered
33,994 Posts
I used the 3m sealant strips to seal between the louvers and the body so that any water that got in would be contained in that area and forced down the drains.
And there's a lot of parts in those louvers! :D
3M Strip Caulk would be the correct factory type sealer.

The front of the opening should be painted blackout flat black. I have seen the "body color" showing through at various shows, and it's wrong. Small detail, big pain to fix.

And yes, lots of parts on 65-66. Simpler on 67-68. Way simpler on 69-73.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts