Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent quite decided which I am going now. I am even considering Freeze 12 but its not available locally and it doesnt change my questions LOL

I have a completely new, but stock system. York compressor, evap, hoses, condenser, filter/drier, all new. Condenser is also a higher efficiency model that looks like stock

My questions are:

Whats the proper procedure for putting oil in the York compressor, when completely new and empty?

With the sump filled do I also add charge oil?

Anyone using R134 in the York?

Thanks, looking forward to having the stock a/c work again!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
One method is to add the correct amount of oil directly into the compressor, then attach the hoses to it and pull a vacuum before adding the refigerant. If you add an oil charge through the low side port instead of directly into the compressor (after pulling a vacuum of course), you may want to turn the compressor over by hand a few times to make sure the oil gets into it before spinning it at 700 rpm off the motor. I'm not sure if the york is compatible with 134, but I don't know why it wouldn't be. Just make sure you decide which refigerent you're going to use before adding the oil because 134 and R12 use different oil. I think there is a synthetic oil that's compatible with both but I can't remember for sure. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Freeze 12 a highly flammible freon substitute? That's the same as putting propane in the a/c, and there have been numerous fires from that practice.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
My 77 Ford truck has a York style compressor on it, and I'm running the R134. I've had R134 in it for over a year and it's worked fine.

It's not super cold, but I don't think that's any fault of the 134. I think the system needs a good flush.

Good luck,
John Thomas

·
Registered
317 Posts
A couple of weeks ago I used a conversion kit on my 86 taurus. Kit came with 3 cans of 134a which has the oil already added. Conversion took about 10 minutes and works great. Don't know if this applies to a York compressor but thought I would add it to the mix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts