Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I worry myself nuts about everything concerning my future 351C buildup, I wanted to hear from those who have recently rebuilt or had C4 tranny's rebuilt and the power theyre playing with.

I'm curious to hear who has BEAT and/or BLOWN their C4's and what engine they had AND WHAT REAR GEARS?

I'd also like to hear from those who have rebuilt their C4's.....their experiences.

BTW, anyone got a 70-up small block C4 they want to trade for an early 80's small block C6 needing a rebuild.....you'd have to come get it! (above Philly)........

pre-70 C4's need not apply.....no time for the 24 spline deal or the early shift pattern!! LOL

G

·
I pulled the last one from a '77 T-Bird, 100K plus mileage. No kit, just a 2800 converter. 3800# '71, mild 460 Thunder-Jet(370HP stock, probably around 400). I drove it like I stole it, got rid of the trans & put it in an 11 second '68 Cougar. After a few years, it's still going strong! I do this all the time

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Had one in my 70 coupe(275 hp 302) that I beat the tar out of. Broke a band by manualy shifting it and went to neutral and then back to third. BANG Had no second gear after that. Drove it for a month from 1st to third. I bought a kit for $80 (bands, clutch disks, rings,and seals) and rebuilt it myself at age 18. Had no idea what I was doing and none of the correct tools...just a shop manual. It was really easy. Beat the tar out of it a couple more years and sold it to put in a 4 spd. Not sure if I would put more than 350 ft-lbs or torque through it. Just a guess though.. Ford did not put them behind C's for a reason.....too much warrenty

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Actually... Ford did put the behind 351Cs... I've crawled underneath factory 2V 71-73 cars and found factory C4s. They did exist.

I plan on running a C4 behind my motor... The displacement is up in the air right now (351, 379, or 408), but its gonna be running Aussie heads and 11:1 compression as well as a 150 shot of nitrous. 3.89 locker out back, FYI.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
a stock c4 is "good enough". it will do the job. If you drive it hard you will probably eventually burn out a clutch but if you had a top loader the same thing would happen. I'm betting your not planning on babying the car. If you drive rather than flooring it at every light a c4 will last forever n your car. i like the idea of a DIY rebuild.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I rebuild mine and found it very easy. It is running behind my 331 stroker that I estimate at 400hp, with 3.55 gears and a stage II transgo kit with that late model shift pattern. Everything is working fine right now, besides the leaking pan, which I will figure out eventually. I anticipate building another one fairly soon, not because this one is broken, but because I would like to do some of the upgrades and stay closer to the specs now that the first build is out of the way.

Dave

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
talk to camachinist

heh!

I'm the wrong person to talk to....I've never broke any of mine! So, I don't know how much HP they'll take...

Thanks for the vote of confidence though *G*

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Wish I had a better answer but all I can say is, using the C4 you don't want (that early one with the little input shaft), I hooked up enough HP to the track to put a 2700 lb (car and driver) into the mid-low 11's for the better part of 10 racing seasons (not consecutively) without any failures. The majority of that time was spent with an 8" converter in front of it.

FWIW, the car runs 13x31W's and 5.14's and uses a four-link so very little tire spin ever occurs.

Weight and low-rpm torque will be your enemy with a C4....I was concerned about this when going to the W and a tighter converter (with everything else the same) but ran two full seasons with no problems. The trans has been freshened (new frictions) once over the 10 seasons and 20 years I've been using it in the race car. Would I have had the same luck with the same torque in a 3200 lb car....?? Hard to say...

My only other experiences have been building various C4's for friends street cars, none of which test its limits in any practical way (tire spin).

Build it right and and don't abuse the car and it won't let you down. Contrary to popular belief, racers don't abuse their cars, at least the ones (like me) who have to foot the entire bill for them....it's just not good business *G*

Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts