Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been on the back burner for a couple of years since I rebuilt my motor partially due to it runs fine and I spent a year in Afghanistan a few months after the rebuild. I have a 64 1/2 D Code with the stock Autolite 1.08 4100 carb. I removed the originally cast iron intake and replaced it with a Edlebrock Performer 289 intake. At first I used the stock carb spacer but couldn't get the engine to idle properly and it hesitated from a start. I removed the spacer and set the carb on the intake without the spacer and the engine just seemed to come to life. I have excellent throttle response at all RPMs and I have plenty of torque. My engine isn't stock. When I rebuilt it I put a slightly larger .456 lift intake/exhaust Crane cam, and I have 1.94" intake valves on ported stock 289 heads, and flat top hyperthuretic Speed Pro pistons. Has anyone else experimented with the Edlebrock Performer intake and got it to work with the carb spacer any better than my attempt?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard that you get a vacuum leak between the intake and the (stock) spacer because the mounting flange of an Eldelbrock is smaller than a stock intake.
That might be the reason that you can't get your autolite properly tuned......

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard that you get a vacuum leak between the intake and the (stock) spacer because the mounting flange of an Eldelbrock is smaller than a stock intake.
That might be the reason that you can't get your autolite properly tuned......
Doesn't the Autolite 4100 have the same foot print as the stock spacer?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Doesn't the Autolite 4100 have the same foot print as the stock spacer?

Yes it does but it's the stock spacer on the Edelbrock intake that causes a vacuum leak because the "foot print" of the intake is smaller as the spacer. The spacer is hollow so here is your vauum leak....

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I see. So in light of how responsive my car is now I should forget about using a spacer? The Edlebrock Performer 289 intake breathes much better than the original stock cast iron intake I removed and stored.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
You should use an insulating spacer. 1" if you have the hood clearance. If not then run the 3/8" Edelbrock spacer. Part numer 9266.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered a 9266 from Summit. What results should I notice other than possibly reducing percolating of fuel in carb due to engine compartment heat?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I ordered a 9266 from Summit. What results should I notice other than possibly reducing percolating of fuel in carb due to engine compartment heat?
That's about it. But that is a big deal.

·
Registered
35,839 Posts
A 1" 4-hole spacer will increase low-rpm torque, which is why even 289 2V engines had a 1" spacer (2-hole, of course). An open spacer, like the 9266, especially that thin, won't do anything but insulate.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A 1" 4-hole spacer will increase low-rpm torque, which is why even 289 2V engines had a 1" spacer (2-hole, of course). An open spacer, like the 9266, especially that thin, won't do anything but insulate.
The way my drive train is configured now I can spin the tires when rolling between 10 - 15 MPH when I floor the gas pedal, chirp the tires when the tranny shifts into 2nd, all with a C4 auto tranny. I'm afraid I'd be dangerous with more low end torque. I don't want go with wider tires since I don't have power steering. I'm running 195/75Rx14 on stock steel wheels. I like the stock look. Doesn't the Edlebrock Performer 289 intake sit a little higher than a OEM cast iron intake? I'd be concerned about hood clearance with the stock air cleaner housing. My next goal is to find a set of roller rockers that will fit under stock stamped steel valve covers.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
anyone know the part number for a 1inch spacer on a 289 with Edelbrock intake/carb

edit: also i have the cobra hood on my 67. could i and would it be better for more then 1inch? (if they even have it?)

Thanks

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the 9266 spacer in the mail yesterday, put in in this morning. I guess I won't realize any difference until it gets hot out.

Summit also has the 1" four hole spacer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts