Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
66 C code

Finishing up the front end. I noticed the strut rods might have an “up” and “down” side. But can’t find any evidence in the shop manual or online.

On one side of the rod, there is a raised notch. I’m addition, there appears to be a very slight bend in both rods.

So… which side is up?

(yes… I know I should get adjustable strut rods. No… I’m not doing that right now.:ROFLMAO:)

Tool Sports equipment Wood Pneumatic tool Bumper
Wood Tool Knife Hunting knife Utility knife
Product Black Publication Material property Font

·
Registered
742 Posts
Not 100% sure but from the witness marks on the set I pulled 10yrs ago, it appears the raised notch goes down, the marks for the steering stop are on the other side. kip
Just looked at them again, the line (notch) does go down.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And you pitched them? Why are you replacing them?
No. The ones in the picture were taken off the car. I didn’t make note of which way they were installed (not that I would trust that anyway… the POs did a lot of half a$$ stuff).

I also blasted and repainted them. So I can’t see any evidence of how they were installed.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
I think the slight bent angle where they bolt to the control arm puts the orientation of the rod a bit upward toward the bushing end. It also helps to ensure that the flat part of the strut rod lays flat on the control arm.

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Huh! I never paid any attention to how mine were oriented when I put them on. I'd assumed that they were symetrical and could go either way. Now I wonder if I screwed up ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts