Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I going to have problems with the stock tach with MSD Ready to Run Distributor on a 390? Do I need to wire anything special?

Anyone using the "ready to run" ditributor?

K

·
0 Posts
Yes. You will need a MSD tach adapter #8920......I'm going through the same thing and I have the wrong adapter (#8910).

Call MSD to be sure.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
See that is how I noticed your problem when searching the tach adapter. The instructions for the ready to run say nothing about the Tach Adapter. Obviously calling them is a good idea I will do it tomorrow :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a '69 with a 351W with a factory tach. My factory tach worked fine before I installed the MSD. I installed a MSD Ready to Run # 8354 distributor and MSD Tach adapter # 8920. My tach after installation runs 500 rpm higher at idle only. When I speed up the rpm's it levels out where it needs to be. I don't know why this runs higher. I have called MSD, I have posted on VMF and still no answer. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
13,207 Posts
I'm using the MSD Ready to Run Distributor ( on a 289). The 8920 adaptor was required.

Am I going to have problems with the stock tach with MSD Ready to Run Distributor on a 390? Do I need to wire anything special?

Anyone using the "ready to run" ditributor?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
If you are using this dizzy #8595 without using the MSD box no problem, no extra box is needed. That dizzy creates only one signal for a spark per cylinder, so no converter is needed. If you add a MSD5, 6 or other box the converter will be required.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts