Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
8T02S110575-00041, Help find this car. It was stolen in the 1970s in Oregon. It is very possible this car is tucked away in a garage or barn in Eastern or Central Oregon. It is a gold GT500, Auto, fastback with a black interior. This is also a historically significant car being one of the very first four 1968 Shelbys built. If you know where this car is hiding or know anything about it, please email me. Confidentiality assured. We just want the car back where it belongs....

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would say statute of limitations is out and if insurance paid on it the insurance co. would be the legal owners. I just have to ask why do you want to do all the leg work? Good luck.

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,686 Posts
The statute of limitation on criminal charges may have lapsed due to the passage of time but if the legal ownwer never settled with the insurance company it's still his car. There was a story recently in this area about a local guy who's '56 Thunderbird was stolen many years ago. It showed up during a VIN check for DMV purposes somewhere in SoCal a few months ago after being purchased through ebay in Ohio. He got his car back after 30+ years. Here's a link to the article

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4176/is_20070622/ai_n19327250

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I don't know about Oregon, but not all states have a statute of limitations on criminal acts. Those that don't, usually have limitations on civil actions though.

Auto theft is probably a good example of a gray area for limitations in ANY state. No matter how long ago it was stolen, it's still stolen until recovered and cleared from NCIC. Get caught with it and it's still possession of a stolen auto.

BTW, there was a news story nationally about a 1967 vette that was stolen, in 1967. NYPD recovered it last year!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
It would be great if this car could be recovered, but I would bet it was converted into "parts" well before
'71.
I think the best place to search for this VIN would be on any of the vin-stamped parts. Did the '68 Shelbys have the vin in the engine and tranny??
I remember seing a '68 GT500 clone on fleabay that was made from "All real shelby parts".."built in the early '70s". It was one of the nicest clones I've seen, but it smelled like a rat to me!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
mark_3x67 said:
I think the best place to search for this VIN would be on any of the vin-stamped parts. Did the '68 Shelbys have the vin in the engine and tranny??
Most post strike cars did but being an Aug 67 pre strike build there is a good chance this one didn't

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Pony, Just to update your story... It was a White 1969 Vette, not a '67.... that was stolen in 1969...and the NY/NJ Port auhority tagged the car because is was going out for shipment overseas...and was caught in a container. Don't know where the car was for 37+ years, but apparently it did't go too far...The vette was re-united with its real owner by the NYPD and he took ownership of it and will give it to his daughter who is coming of driving age. The vette was still in excellent shape! Chances are that '68 Shelby is in another country in some collection, but the remote possiblity being in someone's garage is still there.

Tony Kovar
1966 Sprint 200 Convertible

G

·
I was at a friend's shop a few weeks ago helping him with his cars and all of a sudden I see a white '65 GT350 fastback pull off the road at the shop. My first thought was "clone" and continued what I was doing while my friend went to talk to him. I was called over after about 15 minutes and was introduced to the owner. Turns out, it is a real '65 Shelby that was stolen around 1982 in Havelock, NC. The owner was in the military at the time flying planes. Fast forward to this past August... a guy in the north east has a '65 Shelby that he has acquired due to his father passing away. His Dad never sent the car info to SAAC, so the son decides to join SAAC and provide details about the car. Turns out the Shelby plate had been changed and did not match the Ford VIN. Law enforcement was notified and the car was confiscated. The owner from 1982 was contacted, he still lives in NC and was asked to provide some unique details about the car, which he did. Within a few days, he had his old car back... a REAL '65 Shelby GT350! Evidently he did not have theft insurance on it back in 1982, so it was a total loss for him. There had only been about 3k miles put on the car in the 25 years that it was gone. The guy that got the car back actually bought it in 1971 with his Dad!

Looks like if you're caught with a stolen car, too bad, the police can take it! Not sure how statute of limitations come into play in a matter like this. Maybe it only has to do with whether or not you get charged for owning stolen property? Hopefully there will be a story on the fella who got his Shelby back in MM or MT soon.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Here is a different light on it but not a Mustang.

I purchased a 1979 Jeep CJ5 in the early '90s. Bought it from a small dealer and to avoid the emission inspections in Tucson, I drove it home with a temp. plate which was really not legal. Got it home and registered it. A few days later I got pulled over by a highway patrol for speeding. I explained I had just purchased it and the oversize tires made the speed off and I forgot to adjust for it. He agreed and let me go with no paperwork. A week later the County Sheriff shows up at my work and tells me my Jeep is stolen. I think "you idiot, it is right behind you" but say nothing. He then explains I am in possession of a stolen vehicle. My jaw drops...... He questions me a bit and says I would not be arrested because of my shocked look when he told me. I was allowed to remove the items I had installed as long as I had receipts. The Jeep was towed. I was on the phone to the seller demanding money. Seems the person he bought the Jeep from faked all the info. She had bought the Jeep with a bad check from a shop in Montana (no ins. on it as it was a mechanics lean as how he got it). Transferred titles in Idaho and Utah. Sold it in Az. for cash and cheap to the dealer. Anyway, after talking with the Montana law, Az. law and the original owner, I was allowed to retain the Jeep, the guy I bought it from split my money with the guy in Montana and I was relieved. This was all in a 23 hour period. After that, I also carried a letter from our local Sheriff saying that the Jeep was mine for sure.

The person who stole it was on the 10 most wanted list as she would write bad checks to buy a vehicle, drive it for a bit, sell it for cash and do it again. Wanted in all states west of the Miss. river except Ca. At one point, the police in S.D. missed her by less than 1 min. as she tried to cash a check at a bank and the teller recognized her from a previous deal at another bank. She was caught about 8 months after my ordeal.

Let me tell you, that was an exciting 23 hours for me as the Montana law wanted me arrested and was pushing the locals. After it was over, the investigator from Mont. was in Az. on vacation and stopped to see me just to see how I stayed out of jail on that one. I just say it was not meant to be.....

I drove that Jeep for another two years and then sold it.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
While som,e states have a statute of limitations, sometimes they do not start running until the thief is identified. Another issue is that although the grand theft auto charge might lapse, the possession of stolen property charge starts each day fresh.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
I thought the vette was found in CA, They had painted it silver, IIRC.

It was a blue '68 vette, here is a link to the story,

Link

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Give SAAC a ring...they have all the records.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Just curious but how do you get info on your car if you want to find the original owner etc?

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
DMV will give you the info.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Charles,

In 1981 I worked with a Marine Officer that owned a 65 GT350 here in Havelock. I'd bet it was the same car as I don't remember seeing any others around... He drove it to work occasionally during the Summer months and we'd always drool all over it when it was sitting in the parking lot. Do you have the guys last name (as I'd probably remember it)?

Dave

G

·
That's spooky Dave! I bet it's the same guy, I seriously doubt there would have been another '65 Shelby in that area back then.

Sending a PM with the owner's name...

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
What I don't understand is, if the DMV isn't able to tell me that the car was stolen when I register it, how/why the heck would they expect me to know it was.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
BLISTIC said:
Give SAAC a ring...they have all the records.
Thats where the info came from

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
LMan said:
1968KR said:
This is also a historically significant car being one of the very first four 1968 Shelbys built.

Are you sure its one of the first four? Documentation? :/ :p
Yes. There is plenty of documentation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts