Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 289 that I have dismantled. I would like to store it. Should I spray something on the cylinder walls? Is there such thing as a container/ bucket big enough to submerge my block in oil? I'm sure there's a simple answer to this, I just can't think of any.

Thank You in advance

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,213 Posts
It's very humid where I live and I have had problems with condensation, even in bags. I use grease on the cylinders and any machined surfaces. Vaseline is easier to clean up later on, but I generally use whichever kind of grease is on hand. I use it like paint, seeing that I get complete coverage. I don't worry about the cast surfaces, a bit of surface rust doesn't hurt anything. A good spray of WD40 will prevent most of that anyway.
If you live someplace with lower humidity, just a spray of oil and a bag might be sufficient.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I am in the process of restoring a 428 that sat for 20 years. The cylinders where filled with oil, stored closed etc etc. When I took it to the speed shop there was some small moisture pitting. They recommended, honing the block etc and second opinion yielded the same response. NO QUESTION if I were to do this again. The motor would have been TOTALY SUBMERGED in oil with the exception of the carb.
I have been told by others never to have the motor rebuilt until you are going to use it for that reason. I believe I could have avoided considerable costs.
That is just my experience for all it is worth. Yes I live in an area with high humidity.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I put white grease on the cylinder walls & anywhere that is machined bare metal. Basically any lube will work as long as you can reach the tight spots.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
WD-40 will work for a short time, such as up to a week but I wouldn't trust it beyond that. I have found that surfaces coated with grease will last just about forever, especially if you use plactic to cover it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts