Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an advantage of one over the other..or is it personal preference?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The curved version was designed to clear specific air cleaner designs, such as on a 67-68 Shelby. The straight bar typicaly was/is used when you run a round cleaner.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Straight is preferred over curved from a performance advantage. The curve one flexes but is still better than nothing.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Didn't you also have to have the curved one if you had AC???? I really don't remember, but thought that this might be necessary....

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Will a straight one clear a standard air cleaner housing and will I be able to lift the distibutor cap ?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Someone had a quick disconnect monte carlo bar advertised in the for sale ads. I don't know if a regular straight bar will interfere with anything, though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 65 Shelby came stock with the straight bar - will work with the stock 14" diameter Hipo air cleaner or with a 2x4 Cobra kit manifold with Carters and small Stellings air cleaners. It will also clear stock Ford points-type distributors and will allow cap removal - but it is obviously less convenient than with the curved bar.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I've got the straight bar and have no problems getting the distributor cap off.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I'm putting the Cobra dress up kit option on my engine and this requires the curved MC bar due to the size of the air cleaner (like the 67-8 Shelby's as someone mentioned). The straight one is fine for the standard round air cleaner. I was told the MC bar and the Export bar are two of the best/cheapest initial things to do (especially for a convertible).

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I HAD to use a curved one on 67 my big block, outher wise, the dist cap was on there for good.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replys. It looks as though one of the POs was playing "Bullit" with my car and "Bullited into a ditch or perhaps a curb. As a result I have to replace a shock tower. I'm inclined to not trust the export brace still in the car and the monte carlo bar which will not fit anymore.
Thanks again

1 - 12 of 12 Posts