Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1965 6 cylinder convertible, 1966 6 cylinder convertible
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 65 6 cylinder convertible has a terrible noise. A loud rattling like something is coming apart or falling off the car at higher rpm's. I did notice a hole on the RH side of the bellhousing (automatic C-4), did not think too much about it. Well I got it home, popped the hood in the carport, revved up the engine till the noise came and out of the hole in the bell housing out shot sparks. Long story short, a nut came off one of the studs holding the converter to the flexplate/flywheel, must have been doing this for a while. It also took off some weights off the converter. In the shop now getting either the bell housing replaced or welded and a new converter. Just wondering if anyone else ever had this happen. It definitely got our attention. And the PO never mentioned it, LOL Kim

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Wow, lucky it didn’t do more damage. I’ll say I had a similar incident recently. Car had a slight vibration for some time. Thought it was a flat spot 9n the. Tires since they sat for A couple years. Then it got really bad and BANG. Turns out Two of the bolts holding the flywheel pulley had backed their way out. Eventually they came off completely and the third bolt sheared. Luckily I was close to hime and no real damage done. Will Likely need to replace the balancer if I can’t get the sheared bolt out. Otherwise just some paint on the pulley and new bolts. Was lucky could have been much worse.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flade,
I feel your pain, just last month I had to have my 66 towed from Titusville to Daytona as my Harmonic balancer came apart. Guess the rubber gave up the ghost after 54 years. Pretty easy fix though, but the part was like $100, guess I was expecting 1970's prices, LOL

·
Registered
177 Posts
Flade,
I feel your pain, just last month I had to have my 66 towed from Titusville to Daytona as my Harmonic balancer came apart. ... guess I was expecting 1970's prices, LOL
I had a perfectly fine balancer on my workbench, cleaning it up and trying to paint the timing marks to make them easier to see. Almost done and then I dropped it on the floor shattering the outer rim. Yep, $100.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I had a perfectly fine balancer on my workbench, cleaning it up and trying to paint the timing marks to make them easier to see. Almost done and then I dropped it on the floor shattering the outer rim. Yep, $100.
Ouch, that really Sux! I wouldn’t have though they were that fragile also I would be suspect of the balance after a bad drop.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Flade,
I feel your pain, just last month I had to have my 66 towed from Titusville to Daytona as my Harmonic balancer came apart. Guess the rubber gave up the ghost after 54 years. Pretty easy fix though, but the part was like $100, guess I was expecting 1970's prices, LOL
Luckily I happen to have a spare high quality balancer that came with a collection of parts I bought a couple years back. Will save me $125 over buying a new one. I orderEd new bolts from NPD and repainted the pulley. Now to bolt it all back together this weekend. (With Loctite this time!!!)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I just visited the Tranny shop where my car is, and they are waiting for a new converter to arrive. The problem was not a nut coming off but the previous owner at one time, Lord knows how long ago had a starter installed, and either the wrong one was installed. Anyway the nose of the starter interfered with the flywheel and subsequently took out the weights on the converter and busted the bell housing. Not sure how the shop did not noticed something was wrong. So a wrong starter caused about $800 damage.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I’m amazed they got it install and the starter worked! Ford used a couple different starters and the computers at the local parts shops will often give you the wrong part. They are listed as Manual or auto, but it’s more complicated than that and easy to get wrong.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I am not sure for how long they were driving it!! I looked through all the repair receipts I got with the car, but could not find one for the starter. The starter looks fairly new. I did notice it sounded different than my 66 when starting. Anyway, it will be fixed right this time.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
At least you found it quickly and it didn’t leave you stranded on the side of the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts