Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 80457S Holley carb on my '65 289 engine. (600 cfm, auto choke, vacuum secondaries)
It has run OK until today - I noticed a whistling noise while driving in to work.
At lunch I started to drive to get a bite to eat, and after driving a block or so, I caught a whiff of gas and then the engine died.
I tried to restart the engine, but it seemed that there was no fuel flowing to the carb. When I checked lifted the hood and removed the air cleaner, there was some fuel standing on the back of the intake manifold, and I noticed a drop of fuel coming off the diaphragm plunger.
I could not figure out what was going on - I checked the fuel flow to the carb and after realizing that the fuel pump was OK, I tried to start the engine it actually started, but would not idle - after I shut it off, I looked and the secondaries were full of fuel - fuel seeped out from the diaphragm plunger, and eventually from around the base of the carb.
I called my wife and told her I needed a ride home - I wanted to take the carb off later (not in the heat of the day) and send it off for repair (lifetime service warranty on the carb)
When she came by to get me later in the day, I started the engine and everything ran well.
??????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Heat rising from eng causing fuel to perk and gasket to leak which intern flooded eng.
Cool eng and gaskets resealed for short period.
Will happen again, have carb rebuilt.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mach1Rider said:
Heat rising from eng causing fuel to perk and gasket to leak which intern flooded eng.
Cool eng and gaskets resealed for short period.
Will happen again, have carb rebuilt.
This makes sense - except it happened right when I started the engine - it hadn't had time to warm up - could this also be related to hot outside temperatures?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts