Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I'm driving my recently purchased '68 coupe, I hear a howling noise that seems to come from somewhere near the right front. It kind of sounds like a fan running, and seems to be independent of engine RPM... only happens when the car is moving, and even in neutral. It seems to speed up and slow down with the speed of the car.
I thought that it might be the automatic transmission. A friend thinks it may be a wheel bearing. The PO says "it has always done that", but he only had the car for a little over a year. Any ideas what it might be, and how to check?
The car has a 289 2v,ps,pb,ac, and auto trans (not sure which one) if that helps.

thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could it possibly be caused by wind? Like blowing on the top of a bottle??

Jason

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Does your car have drum or disc brakes in the front?

I agree with your friend....inspecting the wheel bearing for condition and pre-load is a good place to start, and I recommend such inspections, along with brakes and all other major mechanical systems, when purchasing a vintage Pony...that way, there are no surprises *G*

Any strange noises when cornering at speed? When stopping?

Get back to us...

·
Registered
977 Posts
You are heading in the right direction. Have a friend drive next to you so he can listen to it while you drive down the street. Watch out for mailboxes. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I heard a story one time where this person had a raddle in the front end of his car but could never find where the noise was coming from. Well years later the car was in an accident. The car went into the body shop and when they took the fender off they found a bold tied to a string with a note on the string. The note said "You finally found me". Someone from the assembly line put that in there as a joke.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Jack up the car in the front and grab the wheel and see if it rattles when you shake the tire from top to bottom and from left to right. If you have play in the wheel it's the bearings. It will make a clunk noise when you shake it. If it feels loose you better do a bearing a new seal job real soon. How is the tire wear. Do the treads point to one direction //// , \\\\\ or are they vertical (normal) ||||||||?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car has disc brakes... and the tires are new so there is no wear pattern. The PO put P235/60P15 tires on the car front and rear, and a friend said that they are too big. I plan on putting these on my Ranger this weekend and getting new ones for the coupe. When it is up to do the tire change I'll check the "rattle" and also look at the brakes.

It makes a definate "mechanical" whirring sound, somewhat like a fan. Much louder however. I'll keep you posted and add the results when I find what it is.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found the problem.. it was the right inner wheel bearing. Replaced it and now the only "noise" is the one made by the dual exhaust (the way things are supposed to be) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts