Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Fastback
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a set of styled steel wheels and trim rings from the Paddock in the early 2000's for my 66 fastback. I'm pretty sure they were Specialty Wheels brand. I mounted a set of Coker single red lines, 195/75/14 radials and they were great! Recently I bought the 205/70/14 dual redlines from Coker and mounted on the same wheels. I now have 2 issues, 1 annoying and 1 dangerous. The annoying issue is that they now make a clicking or creaking sound while driving. I checked everything from bearings to suspension before finally taking off the trim rings and the sound disappeared. The dangerous part is the trim rings now rotate or spin on the wheel and cut into the valve stem. I believe they may be touching the tire causing the noise and movement as the tire flexes. Anyone ever heard of this? Could they be the wrong size trim rings and a new set of trim rings from NPD solve this problem?
wheel2.JPG wheel1.JPG wheel5.JPG wheel3.JPG wheel6.JPG

·
Registered
35,869 Posts
Well, I'd do TWO things. First, I'd replace the valve stems with some metal "bolt-in" style ones and, two, I'd "massage" the trim rings to stop them from rotating.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts