Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow speed freaks! I need some tire recommendations.

It is time to find new shoes for ole #685. I have really had a problem deciding on new tires that can run both street and track duties. I use the California Special/GT as my daily driver here in the San Francisco area during nice weather.

I am presently running Yokohama AVS db's (225/55-16 fronts and 245/50-16 rears). I have actually gotten three years of hard street use and four(+)full weekends of opentracking use out of them. Yea they may not be the stickiest tires out there; but they were great beginners tires!

So without going to full competition tires and rims (later, need more suspension and brake upgrades first!) ... What would you run?

Joe P.
:track:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hey Joe,

You can check with BillGear - he runs on the street more than I do (or at least used to before he painted that beast of hi). He had a set of Victoracers that lasted for-stinkin-ever! I'm on my second set of Victoracers in 3 years, but I didn't put too many weekends on them last year and did very little street driving.

I don't know how they'd hold up on the daily driver, but I was really impressed with how they did on the track: my first set lasted a year, but that was with DavidG and I both thrashing it at a typical weekend. Not only did they last, but they were a HUGE improvement over street tires.

It'll be interesting to see what others recommend, but, for the money, I've been VERY happy with the Kumhos...

Lance

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
That's a tough one. I am currently running Kumho ECSTA V700's on my Viper GTS. I bought them non-heat cycled and non-shaved as I am using them as a street tire. The downside of these tires is their lifespan will be brief and they are pretty sticky (so they kick up crap from the road onto my nice, shiny car dammit!). The upside is they help me keep the beast on the road as they are sticky. :D I wouldn't have a problem driving these tires over to the track, running them, and driving them home.

I don't put a lot of miles on the Viper, so I'm not overly-concerned about the lifespan of the tires.

On the Shelby, I keep a set of Hoosiers around for the track and then run street tires. I use cheap-o steel rims for the Hoosiers though, so the only money tied up is in the tires. I highly recommend that setup as you get better/more comfortable on the track. A wise man once told me that it's great to start on the track on street tires as you can learn a lot about how the car behaves on them. Then, when you're ready for a whole new world, go to race tires - holy ^#*& is it ever a whole new world.

-bob

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Then, when you're ready for a whole new world, go to race tires - holy ^#*& is it ever a whole new world.
Ya got that right! After running my car and riding along with Scott (aka blkstlln) on street tires, then riding with you the next weekend at CF5... I really sensed that. I'm a newbie behind the wheel for sure, but Scott has a bit of experience and his car is putting up HP numbers similar to the Shelby. The line you can hold on that sticky rubber is amazing.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Naw, that was my l33t driving skilz you witnessed Bri. :winkgrin:

Seriously, I'm amazed the damn thing holds on sometime as well... hence my other post...

-bob

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
I'm not hip to the latest Leetspeak and seem to have misplaced my decoder ring. Does "l33t" equal "elite" or "weak"? :: ;) :winkgrin:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I have ordered Bridgestone Potenza S03 225/50/16 as next tires. I will probably drive with 225/60/15 on the street both for comfort and legality. Tire size is registreted here and one can run +30mm and +1" without re-registration fee. So S03s will be mainly to/at/from track tires.

A cheap dry street tire could be Hankook Ventus Z212 that has got some favourable reviews on dry grip.

Aren't 225/55/16 and 245/50/16 a bit tall tire, wouldn't 225/50/16 and 245/45/16 be better as track tire.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've heard good things about michelin pilot sport cups...but don't expect a lot of street miles out of them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Here is more tire info:
Grassroots Motorsports Magazine November 2002 Issue:
Race & Street Tire Test: Comparing all the hot rubber against each other and against the clock. Pages 70 - 82.

Street Tire: (The most Bang For The Buck)
1. Falken Azenis Sport (Very Cheap) (205/50R15 - $76)
2. BFGoodrich g-force T/A KD (Mega $$$) (205/50YR15 - $149)
3. Kumho ECSTA Supra 712 (205/50VR15 - $58)

The Falken Azenis Sport offers strong performance for cheap money, while the BFGoodrich g-force T/A KD offers goods grip and no bad manners as a daily driven tire. Now that you are interested in a tire that can hold up to track events as well as turn a respectable time at an autocross, then try the Kumho ECSTA Supra 712. It offers good bang for the buck and should last a long time.

R-Compound Tire:
1. Hoosier A3503 (205/50ZR15 - $170)
2. Kumho ECSTA V700 (205/50R15 Shaved - $125)
3. Kumho V700 Victoracer (205/50R15 Shaved - $130)

The race tires were significantly faster than the street tires showing why the fast guys run them. The reduced tread depth of the race-compound tire is just one part of the difference in traction, as internal construction also plays a big part. While the street tires have the ability to get soft at higher temperatures, this doesn't always equals to extra grip. If your class allows a DOT approved race tire, we recommend using one if you have the budget.

·
Registered
607 Posts
By no means do I have the experience to give any sort of semi-credible advice, but here goes anyway! Actually, while at my first open track event, I had recently purchased and put on BFG 225/50/16 g-force KDWs on the car and had them on while at the track. I personally felt like the car was gripping well, and then my buddy (one of the instructors and fellow Mustang owner - Shelby) complimented me on how well the car handled (He was in the car with me on a couple of the sessions and kept convincing me to push it harder in some of the turns ::). Now I know many factors/variables are at play here, but in large part the tires was one of those factors. I have no complaints, they feel great on the street and did their job at the track, and being that funding doesn't allow for a dedicated set of race tires for now, they will have to do. I'll be hammering them a few more times this year as I am scheduled to attend an open track event in Vegas at the end of February and a couple more during the year. Lets see if we can't break these suckers loose on the track ::!!, NOT!!

My .02

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I've been running the Hankook Ventus Z212 on Street /autocross Miata. The tires have fantastic grip.
I have 3k miles on them with over -2 camber on both ends of the car, they stil look like new. Decent price at about 100.00ea in 225/50/16.

I wouldn't run a R tire as an everyday tires, to many heat cycles would ruin it. They are also very thin and flat easy.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I can vouch for the Bridgestone S03's (like Arto65FB). I'm on my second set of them and LOVE them. :biggrin: Billgear brings good knowledge to the table too. However the Hankooks don't come in my size (225 50-15). ::

I used to use the Bridgestones on the track but now have Victorracers... :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I have liked Michelins, I have had several sets from summer to winter studded tires, haven't tried Pilots though. However, S03s are about 110euro a tire and Pilot Sports are 165euro and Cups are 232euro. Actually, I guess there might be a mispricing on those S03s.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts