Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired two Cleveland 2V heads and a Street Boss 302 intake. I have a 289 torn down right now in the shop. Could I use the 289 as a base, or maybe use the rods and block with a 302 Crank? Or should I just try and find a 302 short block? Article I have says to use Boss 302 pistons with 289 Rods. If I go 302 block and crank, can I go with a roller block rather than flat tappet?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
One word: stroker!
That is what I am going to do with the original 289 block from my 66. It is going to be fun! I'm pretty sure those Cleveland heads won't fit a SBF since the Clevelands are considered Big Blocks. Try to find a nice set of GT40 heads off an Explorer.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
FWI...clevelands are NOT big blocks. they have the same bore spacing and mounting patterns as a 289/302/351W. where do you think the BOSS 302 heads came from in the first place ? please do not continue the false notion of 351C= BB. not flaming ya just trying to get yer info corrected.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
or maybe use the rods and block with a 302 Crank?
Thats the ticket!

With those open chamber 2V Cleveland heads you'll have pretty low compression, that's why the Aussie Cleveland 2V heads were so popular for a while... Small combustion chambers, close to the same size as the Boss 302 chambers.

Boss 302 used the same length rods as a 289.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
IF you are using BOSS 302 type pistons then you really should go with the 289 rod and 302 crank. and yes a 5.0 roller block will work just fine. look for the "siamese" bore block from a 90-93. and they like lotsa lift and duration.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Remember when choosing a cam that Cleveland Heads use 1.73-1 ratio rockers, not 1.6-1 like 289/302/351w. Also you may want to look into the coolant passage locations on the later blocks, I believe, but don't quote me, that the later blocks had the coolant passages on the blocks moved to match the location of 351w heads. Also I have an older ford motorsports catalog which list what modifications are required to put 351c (non Boss 302) heads onto a windsor block. I can scan it for you if required. That should make for an interesting combo and won't be a "ME TO" set up that you always run into on cruise night.

Dan

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would appreciate the scan. Thanks so much. If you will, attach the scan and email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
You can use the 289 block and rods. Adding 302 crank (I prefer 28 unbalance) and BOSS type pistons will give you Street boss short block. However, I don't know where you can get the pistons, I have heard that TRW/Speedpro L2324F is probably discontinued.

However, roller cams rock compared to flat tappet cams, if the 289 block is in good condition, I would sell that and buy a roller block.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts