Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Same here!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine was done the old fashioned way, but I could have had these nice shiny bits without the extra holes.

·
Premium Member
13,231 Posts
Shaun is a lot smarter than me but I'm not crazy about the fact that the bolts are above the centerline of the control arm shaft. It looks to me like the control arm shaft now has leverage and can pull away from the shock tower in hard maneuvers possibly snapping the bolts.

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
1,200 Posts
OMG can things get better???

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
For those afraid to drill holes and commitment! I love and buy SoT stuff! Maybe just buy the templet and drill the holes?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I did a Texas Hill Country buzz in my 427 Windsor 73 Mach 1 with Shaun's street tuned coil over front end with rear 4 1/2 mid-eyes. I now have 1300 miles on the combo and could not be more pleased. My youngest son joined me today and was reaching for a handle...

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,408 Posts
Very interesting. I also discovered where Ketell is lurking these days.

Reactions: Russstang

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
How much?

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
You see, I find this funny as there's a thread where a bunch of people crap all over the SPC setup that does the same exact thing and will somehow tear right off blah blah blah. But the SoT copy, well, that's golden. BTW, in the TCP catalog guess what shows up...
</soapbox>

·
Registered
603 Posts
You see, I find this funny as there's a thread where a bunch of people crap all over the SPC setup that does the same exact thing and will somehow tear right off blah blah blah. But the SoT copy, well, that's golden. BTW, in the TCP catalog guess what shows up...
</soapbox>
Your money, your choice. Rather simple.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Eh, its your money. I did the Shelby/Arning drop using a template last weekend. I also installed new blueprinted upper arms, and roller perches from Open Tracker Racing while I was at it.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I feel REALLY stupid right now... but from that picture... I have NFC how those work?

Do they bolt to the tower then there's an offset bolt to relocate the arm? If yes, I'm assuming you have to use one of their A-arms because that thing is way to thick to go between a stock arm and the tower? To get the right caster/camber after the shelby drop, I barely have any shims on my car.

Sorry, but I don't get how these are better than just drilling a couple holes.

*That said, I have multiple SorT parts incorporated into my front suspension right now, I just don't understand this product?

Reactions: DrHawkeye

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I feel REALLY stupid right now... but from that picture... I have NFC how those work?

Do they bolt to the tower then there's an offset bolt to relocate the arm? If yes, I'm assuming you have to use one of their A-arms because that thing is way to thick to go between a stock arm and the tower? To get the right caster/camber after the shelby drop, I barely have any shims on my car.

Sorry, but I don't get how these are better than just drilling a couple holes.

*That said, I have multiple SorT parts incorporated into my front suspension right now, I just don't understand this product?
To me it looks like it replaces the entire bearing/mount and the bolts for the arm enter thru the sides.

The Shelby drop are the two holes visible in the pic, that’s the top side of the mount and bolts to the car.

Rusty

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Yep, I feel stupid. I totally understand now...

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
</soapbox>
The idea has been around for a while. The complaints about SPC and TCP was that maybe they weren't robust enough. Shaun's looks like a stouter piece.
BTW I have never heard of SPC or the TCP units failing however.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Nor I. I actually have the SPC units on my wife's 65 because I didn't want to be the guy that drilled into the perfect original body on that thing, and TCP wants $800 a side, so wasn't going that direction. Only problem I had with the SPC units was that the weldment near the ball joint plate encroached on the roller perch mount. A little grinding on the roller perch ear fixed that quite nicely.
And I'm not slamming Shaun's gear. It looks great. I'm sure it's perfectly functional as well. That thread I mentioned had a of talk about how horrible an engineering idea that design was in general. I didn't think it was then either. Never bother to chime in on it until now. I'm sure you see the irony. Which, BTW, is the opposite of wrinkly. ;) And the fact that he weight relieved it like an airplane part doesn't hurt either. Reminiscent of 'The Art of Engineering' Cobra.
I had a very talented mechanical engineer tell me "you never want to pivot the dampening forces in a suspension design" when I was showing him some IRS concepts I was considering. So I showed him the production cars that do exactly that. And he is a car guy too. No one knows everything. Keep an open mind. (y)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts