Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I know there are a lot of us that run Shawns awesome products. Both of my boots are split on both sides with about 1500 miles on them. Anyone else run into this issue?

Too, what’s the easiest way to replace the boots without tearing the whole front end apart again?

Thanks!!

Chris

·
Registered
35,502 Posts
Pop the lower ball joint from the spindle, remove the bad boot. Install a new boot and reverse the process. Don't forget a new cotter pin!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pop the lower ball joint from the spindle, remove the bad boot. Install a new boot and reverse the process. Don't forget a new cotter pin!
Alrighty! If it’s that easy I’ll hammer those out tomorrow. Probably just have to remove the end links?

Chris

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
How about using eurothane?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Most likely, unless you really like prying....
It was that easy!! Thanks!!

@Nailbender , do you know the torque specs for the lower ball joints? I can’t find my instructions.

Thanks again!!

Chris

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All done. Thanks for the encouragement @Woodchuck !

I thought I noticed a split a while ago and ordered 2 new ones from Shawn just in case. Glad I did. They were both split?

Chris

·
Registered
905 Posts
Seems to me if you replace the split one with the same ones there just going to split again unless there is an issue with them and its been resolved..

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems to me if you replace the split one with the same ones there just going to split again unless there is an issue with them and its been resolved..
I agree. I’m going to call Shawn this AM and see if there are any preventative measures. I was thinking of maybe using a silicone or something but that will attract dirt and may make things worse.

Chris

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
It was that easy!! Thanks!!

@Nailbender , do you know the torque specs for the lower ball joints? I can’t find my instructions.

Thanks again!!

Chris
What’s a torque spec?😳 I go really tight on that one. How do the new boots fit? I haven’t been super impressed with the fit on mine from day one.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What’s a torque spec?😳 I go really tight on that one. How do the new boots fit? I haven’t been super impressed with the fit on mine from day one.
:ROFLMAO: Ok thanks!

They are the same as what came with them. Im hoping my first ones were damaged by me somehow but I dont think so. Yeah im not impressed either but I dont know if there are any other options?

Chris

PS I LOVE your new avatar!! Do you have separate thread with more photos?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts