Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning from Sunny California

Straight to the point. I have a 67 coupe with a mildy built 302 I replaced practically the whole front suspension with oem parts. except for my strut rods. got a set of the Street or Track adjustable strut rods because they are friggin awesome. However once I put them on I am now having issue with my sway bar. It doesnt fit, in fact last test drive it came down and was sitting on top of the strut rods. I was told that it doesnt line up with the SoT strut rods, its an aftermarket sway bar the larger one 1 1/4 I believe. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a work around

·
Premium Member
2,066 Posts
Your sway bar should have little to do with the strut rods. How did it come down onto the strut rods? Did the links break? Please post some pictures of your set up.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Need pics bruh.

Very curious how they’re making contact, assuming they weren’t making contact with the stock strut rods.

Sent from the interwebs

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A good friend of mine installed them i dunno maybe he installed the sway bar upside down but he said that where the sway bar brackets go it was hitting the strut rod. Maybe the end links were too long I dunno.

Based on the responses it sounds like this is not a common problem. I had him take the sway bar off because i didnt want to mess up the strut rods

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope the LCA are 67 oem replacement, the strut rods are street or Track i believe are universal or 65/66 that fit the 67

·
Registered
601 Posts
Those bigger sway bars are often a tight fit. There have been other threads with people having an aftermarket sway bar that hit something. But giving advise are nearly impossible without seeing the problem.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
I have a similar problem on my 65 fastback but only on the passenger side. The bar is shifted just a bit to the right and is dangerously close to the right side strut rod where the bar curves just past the frame bracket.

I haven't got around to addressing it yet but it looks like I need to elongate the bushing bracket bolt holes and angle it slightly to allow the right side to move over just a bit. I may change the height of the end links a bit also to get a little more clearance. Technically, since the sway bar ends and the strut rod ends are both bolted to the LCA's they shouldn't hit if there is any space at all between the bars. My front sway bar is an unknown. It may not even technically be the correct one for my car. Its been on there since I bought the car years ago. Maybe I should get a new and correct for 65 sway bar before I go messing with anything else. The zone on the bar where the bushing goes and the bracket holds it to the frame is not perpendicular to the frame rail. It is somewhat slanted which is what kicks the bushing and bracket off.

The photo below shows a somewhat similar right shifted situation to what I have. It looks like this car's sway bar bushing brackets have been clocked a bit off parallel to the frame rail too.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I'm running a SoT coil over front end with a Scott Drake / Addco 1" sway bay on my 65 with 1/2" clearance per side. Not sure about the 67 as it had it's own peculiarities? I'd ditch the oversized sway bar for the SD 1" piece.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
If you are having a problem with the anti sway bar sliding to one side, get a pair of shaft collars from mcmaster.com. Position the bar where is should be in the bushing and bolt on the collars and you're done.

https://www.mcmaster.com/shaft-collars

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know that he is on here quite often i was actually hoping he would see this post. Its funny how the tides turn the first couple of responses made me feel like this was an isolated incident.
I think the advice to switch to a 1 inch sway bar is good advice. Right now I am just riding around with no sway bar.

Oh rats,,,,"honey...... looks like I have to go work on my car again"

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I know that he is on here quite often i was actually hoping he would see this post. Its funny how the tides turn the first couple of responses made me feel like this was an isolated incident.
I think the advice to switch to a 1 inch sway bar is good advice. Right now I am just riding around with no sway bar.

Oh rats,,,,"honey...... looks like I have to go work on my car again"
Shaun is only a phone call, or email, away. I autocross with the 1" bar with success. It is one of the better Scott Drake parts along with the export brace and "straight" Monte Carlo bar.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts