Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently running a "Torker 289" Edelbrock single plane intake in my '66. I bought it with this setup, but have always heard really good things about the Edelbrock Performer intakes for 289/302 engines. I've been wondering if there's a noticable difference with these. I like the idea of low-end torque, and will be having the most fun at stoplights beside all the "ricers" with their "fart pipes". Once I get it solid, it's going to be an almost daily driver...

I don't have any complaints with the way it's running, but don't have anything to compare it to. The last classic mustang I drove was 22 years ago. It was my brothers and I was 17. I was sweet and fast, and my turn to have one finally came a few months ago. It's kind of ironic, 22 years and 3 kids later, I get my own '66. ::

Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. Here are some other details I know about the engine.

302, Holly 600 carb, 351 heads ported/polished, oversize stainless valves, forged pistons, balanced and blueprinted.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If you're running the old angled carb Torker, you've got a good manifold there. I ran one of those, with a 3310 Holley, on the early 289/302 efforts in the race car. Got some solid 11.30's out of those engines, running in front of a C4. I did run a phenolic spacer with a plenum divider, the shape of which is still a closely guarded secret *G*

Good manifold...no need to change anything. The engine might be a bit sluggish down low, depending on cam and C/R, but the Toploader and a decent rear gear should mitigate that. You can always experiment with plenum dividers....hehe

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
If you go with a dual plane, consider the Performer RPM or RPM Air Gap over the standard Performer.

I had an old Edelbrock "Street Master" single plane that I replaced with a Performer and noticed an improvement. After more engine modifications I swapped the Performer out for a Performer RPM and noticed more top end and no real loss of torque.

The Torquer has more potential, but for low end on a street motor, I am in the dual plane camp.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I've got a Torker 1 on my 289 as well. Seems decent, but I, too, have heard all the raves about the dual planes. Nice to hear it a good manifold.

One question though. Why is the carb angled? I never could figure that one out.

And, if you like them so much, I have another Torker 1 still in original packaging and never installed.

Brian

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I was told tey turned the carb to try and balance out the fuel mixture from the back of the motor to the front. With the carb straight the rear of the motor is farther away from the primaries. Turn the car side ways and you close the distance. It sounded good to me.

i also have the same intake on my 302 with trick flow heads and an X303 cam. Runs real good.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Although RTM may be correct, I've always felt the carb was slightly rotated to deal with the reversion and induced flow characteristics from the 289's firing order. Or, maybe they just thought it'd look cool *G*

In any event, it was good for about a tenth and 500 rpm on the shift point over the F4B, at least on my engines. As I mentioned elsewhere, installing and experimenting with plenum dividers really woke it up with the automatic I was running. Without the divider, it was even with to slightly slower than the F4B. That was with a 4.0K stall converter and 5.14's. I never tried a double pumper (the 3310 was so consistent I didn't want to mess with it) so I don't know if that would've helped or not.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys. CaMachinist, you sound like you know quite a bit about all this... Here's a website with some very technical info on various intakes. It might even touch on the modifications you were "hinting" at. ;)

http://victorylibrary.com/mopar/intake-tech-c.htm

Yes, mine is an angled carb. torker.

Have a good holiday weekend everyone. ::

1 - 8 of 8 Posts