Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old guys recall rumbles to settle differances amoung the young guys. Still probably the best way to go if you consider the now days method of drive bys..Then along came a couple smarter dudes who came up with break dancing. Two guys pissed off would see who could spin on the heads the baddest, no blood and blackeyes and no older/younger brothers looking for the guy that beat up their brother. Now seems the time to use the dyno test to see who really has the fastest/badest car. I don't know much about a dyno test but if a couple cars could just pull up to the "drive-up" dyno and have it out, complete with maybe a burnout area and music of choice(I wouldn't want to be around for the music side) then the street racing wouldd become not so popular for all the wrong reasons. Can anyone picture this at the local hambuger cruise in place???Word frachise pop into anybodys mind???

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I don't think so.

Part of the attraction of street racing is the pure exhiliaration of going 100 miles per hour or more on a public road. There's really no feeling like it. The utter irresponsibility and immaturity of it is rather releasing.

The whole "dyno at the drive in" would only serve to INCREASE street racing. Why? Because people would say, "I've got less power than you but I'll still smoke you because I'm a better driver..." Then the other guy would say, "Oh yeah!? Prove it."

And there you go.

The only REAL remedy for street racing is to rope off a section of a huge city street once a week and let everyone go at it. If they kill each OTHER, that's fine. To be expected. As long as it isn't someone ELSE.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I'd have to agree, a 100HP Honda is going to act a lot different than a 100HP Mustang. Then there's driver skill too. I'd say take it to the track but what do I know, I drive a Fairmont. *G*

Dean T

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The only REAL remedy for street racing is to rope off a section of a huge city street once a week and let everyone go at it. If they kill each OTHER, that's fine. To be expected. As long as it isn't someone ELSE.
Great and now you have the parents of the dead "sanctioned" street racers suing the govt for wrongful death since they hosted the event. Frankly, if parents would take ANY responsibility for their kids actions the death rate would dramaticly decrease. With every expensive house and car sold you put another parent into the work place a few more hours and child supervision is non-existant. The watchful eye has been replaced with a cell phone. And frankly parents are so worried about getting some time away from the kids that they really don't care where they are as long as they aren't making noise at home.

If parents were held more accountable for their kids actions (give mom and dad a speeding ticket with the kids...) they would get involved. Until they are held accountable, they will look the other way.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Theyre going to race......no changing that.

Since the cops cant be everywhere anyway, rather visibly DONT patrol a section of long straight roads far, far removed from traffic.

And dumba___s are going to sue others for their own stupidity no matter what you do (look at the mcdonalds coffee).

·
Registered
858 Posts
just go to the F*&#@!^G strip if people want to cry about the drivers getting hurt...its going to happen no matter what, so get over it damn, i say let the hondas wreck eachother, and let 1 of them die....1 less [email protected] in the world....

G

·
0 Posts
Why don't you guys who are opposed to street racing write your congressmen and get them to introduce a bill that would put governors on suspected street racers cars. A governor set at say 30 mph would really cut street racing down.

·
Registered
466 Posts
there is stuff put into effect in certian parts of the USA but racing is still going to happen b/c you tell me one way to get a bigger rush then to blow some bodies A$$ off the road at at stop light? drugs dont even do that. any sporting event is going to do that but you have to be there and games take time, street racing takes seconds to do/ the reason it also takes seconds to die. in san diago they rent out qual comm stadium and race in the parking lot and from what i have read it helped but the racing is still going to happen. the governors on a car is not going to work b/c if one gets it, then EVERYONE has to have one, that means you and me and i know for fact that im not going to put one on my car when i am driving around b/c i like to run my car through the gears pretty hard b/c i need a "rush" every now and then. have i street raced? no i havnt b/c im never in my 69 when the oppertunity arises. some times i do wish i had it like yesterday, i would have shown the kid he was 2nd2me (his license plate said, 2nd2no1, my a$$) anyways, the only way you are going to lessen street racing is to make it hurt the pocketbook so much that the risk of getting caught is going to kill the want to race. or set up a place where ppl can go and race when ever they want, no waiting in line, not on a certian day. WHENEVER they want to race they can, but that cant happen b/c you have to have supervision and blah blah blah...

sorry for being so long but i wrote a 10 page paper on this last year so i have a pretty good clue of what its all about. here in idaho, kid got caught and they took away his lincense and insurance... he can no longer drive legally, they took away the insurance from the entire family, 30+ years with the company. and i am totally against street racing but no one can always be perfect.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
bring back the local strips.. my dad used to talk about how they had a strip out here locally where ppl would go out to grudge night on wed's and have it out for bragging rights....its too bad thet dont have something like that locally, id definitly take my stang out there.. bc I KNOW theres no way in hell im going to drive to SAC or whatever to the nearest track . thats not to say it will stop street racing., but i think it would redirect some of that racing interest to something legal and safer

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I totally agree. I've there were more dragstrips around, more people would be attracted to that since it would even be more "legit." And, you get the added bonus of knowing how you did so that you can keep track of your improvement. The only thing wrong is that they're tons of regulations and rules in order to just go down to the track and race. I bet that if it were as that easy, as in, just go, wait in line maybe for others racing, and then its your turn against you opponent, w/out paper work or anything, street racing would decrease tremendously.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts