Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I went and looked at a 66 GT a lady was selling today, there was a spare motor setting on the floor. The first thing I noticed was the round intake ports on the heads. The intake was off the motor of course. Now this is a stock looking 302 windsor style head not a Boss 302 or 351 Cleveland. Could this be a street version Trans Am 302 motor. If anyone knows of a part number or any other way to determine if this is a Trans Am motor please let me know because I am sure it is very rare. The lady is selling her deceased husbands 66 GT and motor parts and doesn't know exacly what he has.

·
Registered
19,984 Posts
To the best of my knowlege, there were never any street versions. The closest to a street version are the BOSS heads.

IIRC, I think Ford was planning something on that order but the BOSS was also being developed at that time and it was more cost effective from a production standpoint. I don't remember exactly but I believe it was something like this. Hopefully someone here will know and set the record straight.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Are you sure that they weren't just a set of heads that someone did some port work on? I've seen some stock heads that have been port matched and stuff that end up looking like what you described.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Since the 302 "tunnel port" was the abysmal engine for Ford's 68 Trams Am season, I figure it would have "C8" part numbering. It blew up so frequently, Ford came out with the Boss 302 for the next season.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
small round or oval ports will likely be a 1979 255 V8. they look like a 302 visually but are pretty much crap. the tunnelport 302 had huge completely round ports with a pushrod tube running right in the middle.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
This restored Shelby drag car has tunnel port heads on it. He was running 11.7s on Sunday. Not bad. . .

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL55/689808/2717536/33077410.jpg

There's a couple more pics of it here.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to Goggle and did a search on Trans Am 302. There was an article that said in 69 they had a street version and a competition version of the tunnel port 302. Street version had round ports with 3.8 sq inch of area with 2.12 intake and 1.54 exhaust valves. Also exhaust ports are larger than the normal 289/302. I didn't look at the exhaust side at the time because I really didn't relize it could of been something special until I got home. Article said the street version used flat top pistons with 10.5 to 1 compression and had a hydraulic cam. I think I will go back and look at it again!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After talking to some more people, I think it's going to be a 255 V8 from 1979 as fast500xl1 thought. Just my luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts