Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Strengthen a 69 Coupe body

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Lukesportsman 
#1 ·
I was wondering how i would be able to strengthen up a 1969 coupes body for road racing. I already installed a Monte Carlo bar, export brace, and TCP sub-frame with x-brace. In the future, i plan on adding a roll cage.

I heard you can do some welding on the body, and that strengthens everything up. What would i have to weld. Is there anything else i can do?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Look at the thread right below this, it will give you ideas if not a blue print. If you also do a search here it will give you links to the same conversation on other forums. Its a topic that has always existed, but is coming to more light with the modern interpretations recently. Its what they tried to accomplish in the old days of Trans Am and now we are reinventing the wheel with new materials and computer modeling.

So yes it can be done, and will make the body more resistant to flexing by folds over the existing aged hulk of a body. You end up with not only a better performing car but a more modern and comfortable ride.

Trucks : rigid suspension and flexible frame
Cars: are supposed to be rigid chassis and compliant suspensions. When the body starts flexing before the suspension, then it creaks and rides like an "old" truck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.