Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a good picture of Trouble's underside today with the stripes that I painted last weekend. After taking this, I wetsanded everything and it turned out really well. The rough texture that you can see in the picture is all gone.

I still have to do a little touchup with an airbrush to get the areas that I couldn't get easily with the detail gun, then I'll spray two more coats of clear. But, for now, it's on to the engine bay to sand and repaint some areas that were damaged when the engine came out and by the headers scorching the paint.

http://www.tucsonpony.com/tunder18.jpg

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Very nice! Great job :thumbup:

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Looks great and if you ever roll the car it will look as good from the bottom as the top :p

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know, I won't be able to say keep the shiny side up anymore. :lol:

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I so want to pull the masking off the subframe connectors, but then I'd only have to tape it all again for the clearcoat. It's so tempting! :p

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, I painted them chassis black, like the driveshaft and third member (axle is blue). I figured it would be easier to paint them first and mask them, than the other way around. Easier to fix messes on them, than on the floorpans, too.

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, no, no, and no. :lol: Contrast is a good thing.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Laurie - I like the all-around stripes - I have talked about doing that to a car one day.
I remember on one of your pics, the gold stripes are in the engine compartment, but did you also continue them in the interior?

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, there are no stripes in the interior (and there won't be), but it is two-toned blue and palomino. ;)

The stripes do go down the underside of both the hood and decklid, and down the firewall in the engine bay. They won't be continuous around the car, however, because I didn't stripe the gas tank.

·
Administrator
19,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I doubt if most paint shops would even do it. It's really not that hard to do, but it is time-consuming and you must have a little patience.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Nice work! Kinda makes you want to paint gold stripes on the blue axle, doesn't it?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
You did a great job Laurie, way to go!!!

Joe

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Very nice, something at one time I had considered very seriously. I think the possibility that I could get caught in the rain, and the chance I would upgrade the chassis and powertrain in the future negated that idea.

Glad you did it. Looks great!, even though the guys at the shop are the only ones who get to see and appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I'm patient, but to do this kind of work under the car on a creeper...I must admit, you've done a very nice job...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts