Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rats

One of the short bolts that hold the water pump to the front cover stripped while reinstalling the water pump.

I have no idea how this happened. All bolts were clean, holes were clean, I had anti-seize on the bolt.

I was torquing the bolts to 18 lbs and this one just kept spinning.

Can I drill and tap it to 3/8?

If not what are my options. This bolt only goes into the cover, not the block.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Helicoil. They come in a kit, the hole is drilled to a specific Helicoil size, then tapped with the Helicoil tap then the thread insert is installed. Uses the original size bolt.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I second the Helicoil recommendation. It is super easy to do. Just make sure to put some lock tight on the insert before you install it.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The hole the bolt goes in is 2 in deep, the water pump is 1 in thick. The bolt itself is 1 1/2 in long.

Im going to run a tap into the hole and see what I get. Nothing to lose.

I may be able to use a 2 in long bolt and grab enough threads to make it work.

·
Registered
934 Posts
There is no way better than the Helicoil for the average motorist. You can pick them up on Amazon or your local auto parts store. Another advantage for later on is that you're using the same/correct wrench for removal and installation.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im going to buy a heli coil kit, have to go pick up a couple more WP gaskets anyway.

I ran a tap through the cover. Any chance I can get away with installing a stud?

Ive got a bunch of 5/16 carb studs, if I can find them.

There seems to be enough good threads to go that route.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im looking for the best long term solution.

I tapped the bolt hole and reinstalled the WP.

I torqued the bolt to 15 lbs and it held, But I dont trust it.

I already destroyed one set of WP gaskets, so I need to do the repair right.

If I install a 5/16 helicoil I have to drill a 21/64 hole.

If I drill and tap the hole to 3/8, I have to drill a 20/64 hole. I also have to open that WP hole to 3/8.

Whats the best long term solution?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Last 351W I had, I had a similar issue. Drilled and tapped the hole for 3/8 and used a 3/8 bolt. If you're going concourse, this is not recommended. You'll get called on it. If you just want it to stay together, this works just fine. My 9/16 wrench isn't far away from my 1/2"... just sayin'.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha, the next owner is welcome to come to the cemetery and curse me all day long.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Im looking for the best long term solution.

Whats the best long term solution?

Heli Coil! I have done 3 over the past 2 months (1 on starter to bell housing and both my water neck holes on the alum manifold.

I know I may be weird, but I actually enjoy putting in Heli coils. It is easy and rewarding to fix a stripped out hole. I used red loctite on all of them (coil to tapped hole) and let it set-up overnight.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I know I may be weird, but I actually enjoy putting in Heli coils. It is easy and rewarding to fix a stripped out hole. I used red loctite on all of them (coil to tapped hole) and let it set-up overnight.
I usually keep my cars for 7-10 years and don't want to tear apart the motor and then question "what was the location where I need to take it easy".

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have been using Time-Serts more then Heli-Coils the last couple years. What I like about them is it's a threaded bushing insert vs a coil of thread.

Something to consider anyway.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Helicoils at the box stores $32 a set for 5/16.

Amazon Prime $16.

Everything is on hold until Monday.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
20 days after I started this thread. Where am I?

Helicoil is installed and has been for two weeks.

To busy to be in the garage, plus the 100 degree heat and humidity has all but sapped my motivation to leave the recliner.

22 Oct I go from 5 days a week work down to 2 days. That should give me more garage time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts