Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the car ready for the track on Thursday, change the oil, no big deal until.....

The drain plug just is not tightening and sure enough it is leaking, ahhh!!

I take out the plug and it is totally stripped. I go and buy a self tapping plug and can't get the #$%^* to catch and cut new threads. I ran my 1/2 tap in the hole and cleaned what threads are left, but it still will not catch.

What is the next size up in tap I should use to cut some new threads to help the self tapping plug catch?

·
Registered
680 Posts
What size of oversized plug did you get? They are made in single oversize, double oversize, and I think you can even get triple oversize.....Be sure you have the first oversize......Hope this helps.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a 1/2 inch, Piggy Back, single oversized plug. I was wondering if it was the wrong size plug, but I don't think it is. My thought is to add a little thread for the plug to catch and it should then cut it's own.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have beet through this a lot. What happens most of the time is this. Inside the pan is a little peice of steel that the threds are cut into. When you try to retap it, or put in an oversize plug, the plate cracks. So eaven though the threds are good, as soon as you try to tighten the plug, the plate spreds at the crack, and the plug just turns. Best bet. Put a new pan on, or if its a real nice pan, remove it and have a new plate, or nut welded into it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My pan is a standard 289 unit, no frills at all. I though a Heli Coil also tapped new threads and would damaged the backer plate as already mentioned.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Get a rubber drain plug. I used those for years when my pan had stripped threads. It worked great, no leaks. You insert it, then turn the wing-nut to tighten. I still keep one handy just in case.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ditto on the rubber plug mentioned above. The best one is like a toggle bolt, which flips over inside the oil pan and then tightened with a wingnut. I have one of those, since I haven't had to take the oil pan off for a long time.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got as 1/2-20 over size to tap in at home, but it still leaked. Went to Jiffy Lube and the store manager was excellent. He tapped in an entire new plug one size up from stock. These plugs have really cool seals. An outer ring of copper and a neopream center. He gave me two extra plugs and seals. He even offered to give me the correct size tap to keep the threads clean, but I did not want to take his tools. I don't think I have ever been impressed with a Jiffy-Lube before!

Just a note, he had given me one of those rubber plugs, but said they are only for emergency use and are not designed to be used long term.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts