Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. I am down to the bare metal on my engine bay & want to prep it before I paint. I am wondering what type of rust prevention I should use on it. I have some stuff called Qurox but it goes on wit ha brush & I want a nice smooth finish. any ideas or other suggestions on other products? qurious to hear what others used
i stripped it with eastwoods paint stripper, it is some potent stuff, whoo hoo!!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Clean the bare metal well, and apply (usally by spray) an acid wash (Ospho, MetalPrep, etc). That will "kill" any residual rust.

Then I'd recommend some rattle can Rust Encapsulator from Eastwood to seal the surface.

Then topcoat with whatever paint you like. Good luck.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Metal prep as per directions. Etch prime, Epoxey prime and wet sand till smooth.(may take two or three times to get the desired results)At least up to 600 grit. Use an adheasion promoter and then spray with Eastwoods Underhood Black or Krylon 1613 Semi-Flat. Mix all paint exact and pay attention to drying times. You take your time and you will love the results and you will own the braging rights.....Billy ::check here to see results http://www.rosebrothers.com/mustangpage

·
Registered
952 Posts
I agree w/ ITSAHIPO. However, I used several coats of DP-90 primer, sanded my guts out, put one more finish coat of DP-90. Then clear coated twice.

Layne

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I will also agree with both Layne and Hipo....except I used the DP90
AND the Chromate coating adhesion promoter.....(after the bead blasting) and then used the deltron type PPG paint....went with a gloss black....looks great too...

Take this time to remove al bracketry and have them powder coated...
remove old brake lines and install ne ones for a great detail job.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the ideas guys, now were should I go for the best deals on this stuff. should I go to eastwood,or another company or should I look local? what about por15 & other rust inhibitors like them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts