Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to refurbish my fiberglass front valance as it has holes in the paint, and a couple of cracks that I'm going to repair. I figure I can strip the 10 year old acrylic enamel paint that's on there, clean it all up, repair the cracks, and put a fresh coat of primer and paint on it. Before I do that, I removed the stone deflector/guard between the valance and grill to see how easy/hard it would be to strip off the enamel. Now that paint stripper isn't as effective as it used to be, I'd test it. Well, I might as well as spit on the paint to strip it instead of using the stripper, and get the same result. I'm using a can of Kleen Strip Kwik-Strip, and I scuffed the paint with coarse steel wool, but little to no paint lifting. Is there something else out there you folks can recommend? Reviews show Citristrip Paint/Varnish Stripping Gel ranked at or near the top, but would like to know if anyone has any personal experience.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I would consider mechanically stripping the fiberglass rather than the chemicals. If any of that soaks into the glass, paint is going to be a PITA.

There used to be a chemical stripper made for fiberglass. I haven't seen that in a long time and never tried it.

·
Administrator
19,773 Posts
One thing to try is "Easy Off Heavy Duty" oven cleaner. Worth a shot, it's not expensive and easy to find. It will take off a lot of enamels that aren't baked on or had a hardening agent added. Doesn't harm plastic or fiberglass. An example being a '69 hood scoop I rescued from the hood of a Chevy truck. Had a bout six layers of paint on it and Easy Off took off all except the last which appeared to be the original Mustang's factory paint. If it doesn't work, you've got some oven cleaner.

Secondly, the only paint stripper I've ever had luck with will have "Aircraft Paint Stripper" on the can. Everything else seems to be for lightweight furniture stripping and as you've observed, does nothing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts