Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sttripping my car this week since I took the short week off work.

THe car has three layers of paint on it. I intend on mechanically stripping the bulk of the finish off using a 7 inch grinder/polisher.

The zinc castings, stone guards and facias are being chemically stripped due to the complex curves. I'm using aircraft stripper, but still can't get through the factory finish. I can get through the other layers after a fashion. It takes about 3 applications to get most of the paint off. The factory finish is stuck pretty good in some places though. I would just leave the remaining finish, but its not smooth enough to work with.

Media blasting is not a good option since I don't have access to a blasting cabinet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Mike,
The factory finish is always the toughest to get off. It will take several applications with the chemical stripper and even then, you will still have to do some sanding to remove all of the paint. I found it useful to take an old putty knife and put a sharp edge on it. The chemical stripper will soften the paint and use the putty knife to remove the stubborn areas.

Scott

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you scrach the surface with sand paper it will help the stripper penetrate. Also cover the stripper with plastic wrap to reduce evaporation. Be sure to neutralize the stripper when the metal is clean.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have been told that when it is hot out and you are using aircraft stripper you can apply saran wrap over the parts which will allow the stripper to work better. How well this works I do not know. The info did however come from a body man so I assume it to be accurate.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I found the same thing - and my car had something ridiculous like 5-7 layers of paint. What a pain!

The aircraft stripper worked OK on the first few layers of paint, but once I got down to the factory enamel it was less effective.

I eventually gave up on the chemical stripper, as I thought it was slow, messy, and dangerous.

I used a twisted wire wheel mounted on a high speed grinder to strip the balance of my paint. If you do this, be sure to wear eye, ear, hand, and lung protection ! Dickson

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well at least everyone is having the same experience.

Its real hot now. Only 100 F outside right now. Yesterday was worse.

I've tried the saran trick. I've done the soften and putty knife trick. I've sanded and I've wire brushed.

The most effective way so far is to wire brush using the stripper as a solvent. Let it sit a minute, brush, sit, brush....without removing the stirpper. But this is hard on the gloves and they only last a couple of minutes. I'm using nitrile rubber gloves, but they still break down fairly quick.

I'll start using a wire brush if my new grinder/polisher shows up today.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I am stripping my car which only has the factory paint on it. I have used a razor blade with great success. The areas that are difficult to get to with the blade I am using aircraft stripper on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts