Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about stripping my car down to nothing to get it media blasted. Besides taking lots of pictures and labeling everything that comes off the car, any advice? I know a bunch of you out there have done this already, but it would be my first time (stripping virgin) :horror:. I think the only things that really worry me are the wiring harness, window trim, and drip rail moldings, just about everything else I have replaced or taken off a car before. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. :highfive:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thats pretty much it. after I was done with that, I thought it might have been a good Idea to video tape the process. All I did was label my bags. BAG & TAG

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I stripped my car with 80 grit sandpaper on a polisher/buffer. Took about one weekend for most of the paint and another weekend for the "small" stuff. This is the method recommended for the DIYer over at autobodystore.com. If you're getting into painting I cannot recommend that site strongly enough. Even if you're hiring out the job, it is good to be educated.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I used to strip cars the old fashioned way....chemical paint remover. what a pita mess. I recently had my '66 vert done to the metal by soda blasting. Very interesting process. totally environmentally friendly, no warping of metal, no pitting, and leaves a rust/oxidation proofed surface. Clean up with water.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts