Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked around locally on how I should remove the paint.Most people tell me to use a producted call aircraft remover.It is a paint stripper. My issue is that the last time it was painted they used a acid was and they guy said they never seemed to nuetralize the stripper and then repainted. and hence the picture of the car now.
If I uses a stripper again what should I use to nuetralize it and should I use any bar metal treatment stuff before primer it again?

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
IMO, paint strippers are fine if you're doing something small with allot of surface detail such as interior door shells. But for exterior "To Bare Metal" paint removal, it is much easier and, less expensive to use a variable speed sander and 40g sand paper (Curves can be done by hand, or a wire wheel brush). Once paint is removed, the surface can be smoothed to 80g, which will give whatever etching or epoxy primer you decide to use plenty of bite. In the end, whatever scratches there are will be covered by surface primer and paint.

If you do decide to use aircraft stripper, neutralizing instructions are listed on the can. Metal prep and/or post stripping treatment requirements usually depend on the type of paint you plan to use and the process you diced to follow in it's application.

Hope this helps ::

Ken

1 - 2 of 2 Posts