Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty new to this whole Stroker kit thang, but when I pay $1300 plus shipping for a kit and tell the operator the flywheel and balancer that I am using, receive my kit, give the whole box to my bud to have it installed then feel like I'm riding on square wheels becaue "oh, we don't balance the kits." I feel the need to vent.
http://www.corvetteforum.cc/zeroimg/smilies/mad.gif
There was nothing in the box which would lead me, my boyfriend or my mechanic friend to believe that it was not balanced - heck I paid enough for the thing.

If they're not going to balance it, how about a friggin' clue! I feel like an extra in the movie "EarthQuake" (1975) when I get on it.

I am "very unhappy". I finally got the car running, put everything back together, and now I have to pull the whole engine AGAIN!
http://www.corvetteforum.cc/zeroimg/smilies/banghead.gif

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
A Legit Rant though. What kit did you get and from who, just in case. Maybe we can kindly bend their ear so this doesn't happen again. I agree, for the price the stuff should have been balanced. Any idea what's off weight wise? I sure hope it's not the crank for your sake.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
None of the stroker kits come balanced... Some companies will balance the assemblies for additional $$$, but there are too many rod/piston/balancer/flywheel combinations the buyer could add to throw off the balance.

But you are exactly right, the phone monkey should've gone over what would need to be done.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
For giggles, I've been doing some looking around at stroker kits lately - someday I'd love to build one! The place I spoke with asked if I needed the kit to be balanced and that it would be x amount of dollars to do it. I would have assumed I would be doing it at the machine shop - my perspective was that I would have just been ordering parts from the place selling the stroker kit, not any machine shop work. But, that's just my perspective and if you'd have ordered it from the place I talked to you would have at least known for sure that it WASN'T balanced as they at least ASK about it. I'm sorry to hear that you have to tear everything back down!!!

Good luck! Again, sorry to hear about the extra work now.

-bob

·
Registered
21,153 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. But JC whitney is basically the same as a lot of parts vendors including non automotive. They assume you're in that line of work and understand that you know what is needed. I deal with vendors like Mc Master Carr, ect., all they know is that they have XYZ part for sale, not how it'll interact in specific applications.

Even if you did get it balanced, at this level of engine building you're using a non stock valve train, meaning bigger diameter valves and more lift. The engine should be assembled to check valve clearence. It the clearence isn't right, the piston valve notches will have to be machined throwing off engine balance requiring you to spend more money again getting it rebalanced. BTW, this was checked?

The only time I wouldn't check balance on a kit would be if it's for a stock rebuild. Typically these stock replacement parts are held to factory specs. Plus a stock rebuild isn't being reved that high either. Still it would be a good idea to check balance though.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
The phone person SHOULD have been knowledgeable enough to tell you that the assmbly needed to be balanced with the flywheel/flexplate and harmonic balancer. As noted elsewhere in these posts, that can't be done in advance without the aforementioned parts.

I feel your pain about having to remove and disassmble the engine again.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of your problem. It's never fun when you have to back track. I ordered a stroker and asked to receive it balanced. I trust the guy but, we spun the crank anyway. Assume nothing. Chuck

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
That is a shame. ::
While building my BOSS 302 Stroker I watched as my rotating assembely was balanced. Very interesting. Cost $450.00 plus the material used.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it from Coast High Performance.

I don't know what's out of balance, but it's waaay out of balance. I'm going to change the balancer to a new style and see if that helps at all.

·
Registered
522 Posts
As mentioned before, most of the rotating assembly kits do not come balanced. I know that my stroker kit was not balanced, but it was clearly marked as so. It is a good idea to balance the engine on your own anyway, just to make sure, and to compensate for any changes that might have taken place in your application. Sorry to hear that you have to break the entire thing down again, I have been through that one before, and it is not fun at all.

Dave

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
You need to pull it apart and get it balanced properly. They'll need to use the actual flywheel and balancer that you'll be running to do it right. Be forewarned strokers can be very time consuming, therefore very expensive to balance compared to stock stroke motors. I paid $450 to have mine balanced.. To put it in perspective the same shop charges $150 for stock stroke assemblys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts