Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which is a better stroker kit, a 347 kit made by probe or one made by ford for my brand new 302 steel bare block i just bought from ford racing. and once i buy the kit, do i have to machine my engine?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are alot of kits out there, do you want a forged bottom end, Crank, rods, pistons, or will cast do you ok. If you bought a block you will need to go .030 over for a 347, otherwise I think it will be a 342, you also need to clearance the block (Notch the Cylinders) for the rod/crank stroke, even zero deck the block. You will also need to have the bottom end (Rotating assembly) balanced with your balancer/flywheel. Eagle makes nice parts from what I've seen.......If you got the money definately go forged, I would........

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Speedomotive makes a nice combination, with upgrades as you require. Do go with the forged crank and rods. If you have them do the work, you don't have to go anywhere else for the machining operations.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I second that.......re:forged rotating assemblies....

Eagle makes decent rods and cranks but
I do tend to prefer Pauter or Carillo products.

everybody has their preferences.

You will have to have your block machined for the piston size,
cylinders notched for rod clearance, It is also a great idea to have the block torque plated when doing the machine work....
this way tolerances are more accurate.

Balance your damper, crank, crank pulley and flexplate/flywheel as
one assembly.

Have all edges on our choice of pistons radiused so that the piston skirts don't score your bores....

good luck and et us know how it goes....

cheers
Roberto

1 - 6 of 6 Posts