Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering a stroked 351W I had not decided the CI but was not going to go over 400 CI.

In the past few weeks there has been several posts about the reliability of the stroker's and that got me thinking.

I have always intended to use aluminum heads and fuel injection with electronic ignition (D.U.I preferably).

The question of reliability has me concerned. The cost of the stroker kit seems to be close to the cost of a supercharger, and you would only be adding stress to the engine when you desire the power with the blower. Whereas the stroker you have the piston pin ring land problems and others all the time,

I know there are some users of both on VMF and am looking for pro's and con's of each way of making power.

P.S. The injection system I am looking at was from a company called Afordable Fuel Injection www.afordablefuelinjection.com

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Blown on ethanol sounds about right, eh?? *G*

Personally, I think a Vortech on a mass-air W would make a very cool combo...

You could build the same basic engine I run in the race car, except with lower compression, inject it and make a nice comfortable 500 hp and commensurate torque at a nice low rpm.

Only thing I'd caution about is to understand the limitations of pump gas to produce that kind of HP reliably.......it's definitely possible (and more so with fuel injection/computer controlled ignition) but not a bolt on and go proposition, IMO.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
19,356 Posts
For average driver type use I would choose a stroker. A stroker can make big block power. In a normal driving situation this means the engine has to just laze along to keep up with normal traffic. This is the reason people swore their Ford 460's and Cadillac 500's would last forever. Even though the cars were heavy, the engines were so torquey that the never had to work hard. Compare this to a newer Honda or something small engined. Being small they have little torque and have to work quite hard just to merge on the freeway.
If you use quality parts and max out at 408 ci you should get good reliability.
If you're after pure horsepower, then a supercharger might suit you more. If you keep boost low, it can be a nice ride. The higher you crank the boost, the less longevity you can expect.
If you want to dragrace occasionally, the supercharger might give more of the results you want.
Adding EFI should be fairly straightforward on the stroker. More complicated on the charger because of the need for proportionately more fuel as the boost rises. Not a really big problem though.
The best thing would be the chance to test drive either combo (if you could find someone to let you) and compare their power characteristics. Superchargers and strokers are commonly found in 79 up Mustangs. A drive in a couple of these cars would be close enough.
At one time I wanted to build a 427 stroker for my car, thinking I would use it for cruising around. At some point I realized I would rarely cruise with it, I have other vehicles I prefer for that. Just about every time car goes out of the garage, it will likely be to burn tires. I decided to go with the strongest engine I can afford and run twin turbos. I think this kind of power more suits what I want to do with the car. Longevity isn't a major concern since I bought the car primarily to work on. I'll likely only drive it long enough to break stuff so I can work it some more.
Figure exactly what is you want your car to do everyday and choose the drivetrain combo that best suits your long term purposes. Planning the car is part of the fun.
The more opinions you get, the better. This was just mine.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'm not sure how much power your after? The 351 based strokers seem to hold up pretty well. If you
building a engine, adding the stroker crank has got to be cheaper then building a stock based block and
adding a blower. Summit has a nice little article on a stroker the built 393 stock 351 rods with stock type
302 pistons. They got 529hp and 472lbs tourque. http://www.trickflow.com/articles/stroker_2/at_st_2_body.htm

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I have a 392 stroker in a 68 Cougar, With 3:00 gears it has gotten 16.3 MPG (With the AC). With a 4:11 gear change, the car has run 12:71 @107 MPH.

The valve covers haven't been off since the motor was assembled almost 2 years ago, same spark plugs.

I attribute longevity not to the stroke of the motor, but closely monitoring things like bearing clearances, ring gaps, cylinder wall finish, cleanliness.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I'd go supercharger. Modern SC with bypass valves give you boost only when you need it. I have an Eaton SC with bypass valve on my Honda with 80K miles NA and over 120K miles SC on the stock longblock with no reliability problems whatsoever. I still put out 12 psi. The engine is getting tired, but with over 205K miles - I'm not too pissed. It's run a best of 12.7 quarter on street tires.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Stroker reliability issues are more to 302 variant. If normal 302 ring land is fine on 302 why it shouldn't be fine with 392. With 392 the only non-prod part is the crank. 595 from Ford, about 300 more than stock stroke 351 crank. Scat might be cheaper (Chinese cast). 392 combo is definitely our 383. Apply normal prudence in engine building and you should be ok up to 400hp with stock parts. Of course depending the hp level you are aiming the cost of other race parts is there, but that is there with or without stroking and definitely is there supercharging.

About D.U.I. check the dimensions first, it's huge. I have D.U.I in 289. Clearance issues with 289 are
1) 14" air cleaner will not fit, FRPP 13" fits ok.
2) Distributor body interferes with Weiand 2P180 intake runner number 1.
3) Not even curved Monte Carlo bar fitted, I had to modify the MC bar ends to move the bar about an inch forward.

But that done I love D.U.I. The simplicity of one 12V wire to distributor is wonderful when you tinker with the car.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I thought Scat products where made in Cali.
Fords crate motor uses stock rods and it is rated at 430 hp and probably puts out 470 on the dyno in reality

1 - 9 of 9 Posts