Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother had a short block ordered from ford racing he cancelled because he didn't want probe pistons and also wasn't getting a build date till end of january, he wanted me to ask what anyone preferred in cranks, cast with a better harmonic ballancer versus forged, h beam rods versus lighter I beam, he is going scat I think---thanks

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Agree with Johnpro, nothing wrong with probe pistons. I went with them at the time because their 3rd ring did not intersect the piston pin.
That said, I like the 331 in the 302 version and the 393/408 version in the 351W. I feel that the rod angles are less likely to cause catastrophic failure. just my opinion only no fact to back it up.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree with johnpro in regards to Probe pistons. What is the application of your brothers engine? Is it a small block or big block? Is it going to be used strictly for racing or is it going to be mainly used on the street with an occasional trip to the track? My personal preference is forged billet crank (I prefer Scat) and H-beam rods (I prefer Oliver billet rods). If he wants to stay with Scat, I believe their 4340 forged crank is a couple of hundred dollars more then their 9000 series cast crank. Both are very good cranks. I think the Scat H-beam 4340 rods are about $100 more then the Scat forged I-beam rods. Again, both are very good rods. I have had problems with I-beam rods and cast cranks breaking in racing applications but never in a street engine. I purchase much of my stroker pieces from Flatlander Racing (http://www.flatlanderracing.com/). They carry a wide variety of parts. They also have complete stroker short blocks and long blocks. In my experience over the years with them I have always had great service and great products. I think they are worth checking out. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
my brother had a short block ordered from ford racing he cancelled because he didn't want probe pistons.....
Why?

I posted in another thread about the Probe pistons that are going in my 408.

Here are the weights in grams:

1. 450.63
2. 450.65
3. 450.63
4. 450.63
5. 450.63
6. 450.63
7. 450.63
8. 450.67

Contact Brian at www.adperformance.com if your brother is looking for a stroker kit.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
on the probe pistons he said he has read several concerns with probe pistons,(I told him you get pros and cons on everything) the application is for a 351 windsor stroker, not strip---just strong street toy, we went to Indiana sunday and bought a 94 roller block from a guy for 250, dropped it off at a machine shop monday that is going to prep check it out, he stuck in micrometer and said it was standard bore, they were going to boil it, wire brush it and magnaflux it? I think they said, his kitchen is filling up with parts----canton pan, ford racing harmonic ballancer, new fuel pump, new lifters, bunch of other stuff---bee hive springs, running into $$$ fast! thanks for info and I will pass it on

·
Registered
69 Posts
Probe pistions are some of the lightest around. I have used them in a few of my motors` with no problems.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought he said the I beam rods were lighter---I don't know----??

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Correction.... my bad...

I see the stock 302 I-beam "SIR" rods from Eagle weigh 565 grams and the H-beam rods weigh 600 grams.

I am suprized....

I would still go H beam.... I spin mine to 7500 all the time...

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
he was thinking 65-7 grand, he has a rev limiter on his 302 now and is thinking of not using one on this stroker, he read that they can be hard on a motor? I have no clue myself, I used to shift by ear when I had a fairly quick 66 in high school----30 years ago----not many rev limiters on street cars back then!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have been driving my Probe 302 pistons in 393 stroker w/o any problems. My machine shop liked em and they are light.
They looked like quality pieces to me for my application.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Saving up with for my stroker kits and they give an option for JE SRP pistons and Probe. I'v heard JE makes good stuff, but it looks like probe makes a lot of different ones for different compressions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You have to remember he's not building a 1200hp race engine

however i have seen probe pistons in a 8 sec cars and several 750hp apps

probe bought TRW years back and revised the tooling, TRW were stock forged in 87-92 5.0 and ive seen them go 200,000+ with mods & pwr adders

i would be more worried about the machine shop, most of the time a piston fails because of a bad tune on the motor or a inexperianced builder

1 - 16 of 16 Posts